Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,806,684 Members 47,566 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Screen flickering/shifting/cycling up

Tip us?

tsuwariwarirap
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Default [Q] Screen flickering/shifting/cycling up

For 6 months, my Nexus 5 have been the best thing that happened to my life. But after the 4.4.3 update around Jun13, this display issue appears. Display keeps shifting upward in a continuous manner. For example, the keyboard is now in the middle, and the top part is below, it keeps flickering and moving. So I thought it may be a software bug since it coincided with the update (and no, I did not drop it). I tried all (factory reset, turn auto settings off, Developer options settings) to no avail. I contacted Google support and after a few emails, they told me to contact Japan support team. I don't know anyone from Japan. (Actually I do, but when he called them, the Google person couldn't speak English and my friend can't speak sufficient Japanese). (Note: A friend of another friend bought this phone from Google Store Japan)

So I thought, wth, let's open the back, maybe there're loose connections, like the battery or something. But now the adhesive is tampered with, a small dent in the case (due to the very strong adhesive) and the back does not pop completely back. One corner is a bit loose, so there's no fooling them that I have opened it.

I updated to 4.4.4 and new issue, the display is gone, just backlight. I managed to fix this eventually. Now I'm back to 4.4.2, and the display is still shifting. During bootup, Google logo is stable, but the next animation is shifting. Bootloader is stable, but sometimes it moves up a grid after I press a button. So I assume that the display moves when the system processes something.

So my conclusion now is that this is probably hardware/GPU issue. Or is it? My warranty is as good as void already since I can't communicate with Japanese, and since I opened the back, it really is void already. I have 2 immediate plans of attack: 1) flash a custom rom, if software issue; 2) buy a triwing screwdriver to check the back, if loose hardware.

Any thoughts?
The Following User Says Thank You to tsuwariwarirap For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

vin4yak
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2,179

DONATE TO ME
You have answered your questions already m8.. If I were you, I would find someone who can speak Japanese and tell them to contact Google support and act as a interpreter.. I'm sure you will find someone in your workplace.

Since you've opened up the back and damaged the device to a point where it doesn't pop back, the warranty is gone most probably. But I would still contact Google first and then go-ahead with tampering the hardware.

- Sent from an IceCold Hammerhead!

shevaperu
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsuwariwarirap View Post
For 6 months, my Nexus 5 have been the best thing that happened to my life. But after the 4.4.3 update around Jun13, this display issue appears. Display keeps shifting upward in a continuous manner. For example, the keyboard is now in the middle, and the top part is below, it keeps flickering and moving. So I thought it may be a software bug since it coincided with the update (and no, I did not drop it). I tried all (factory reset, turn auto settings off, Developer options settings) to no avail. I contacted Google support and after a few emails, they told me to contact Japan support team. I don't know anyone from Japan. (Actually I do, but when he called them, the Google person couldn't speak English and my friend can't speak sufficient Japanese). (Note: A friend of another friend bought this phone from Google Store Japan)

So I thought, wth, let's open the back, maybe there're loose connections, like the battery or something. But now the adhesive is tampered with, a small dent in the case (due to the very strong adhesive) and the back does not pop completely back. One corner is a bit loose, so there's no fooling them that I have opened it.

I updated to 4.4.4 and new issue, the display is gone, just backlight. I managed to fix this eventually. Now I'm back to 4.4.2, and the display is still shifting. During bootup, Google logo is stable, but the next animation is shifting. Bootloader is stable, but sometimes it moves up a grid after I press a button. So I assume that the display moves when the system processes something.

So my conclusion now is that this is probably hardware/GPU issue. Or is it? My warranty is as good as void already since I can't communicate with Japanese, and since I opened the back, it really is void already. I have 2 immediate plans of attack: 1) flash a custom rom, if software issue; 2) buy a triwing screwdriver to check the back, if loose hardware.

Any thoughts?

It is incredible, i have exactly the same problem and i did the same as tsuwariwarirap did. So if it is the same issue could be a kind of software problem? Or maybe all the nexus5 hardware will have issues with 4.4.3 or 4.4.4 ?

vin4yak
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2,179

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by shevaperu View Post
It is incredible, i have exactly the same problem and i did the same as tsuwariwarirap did. So if it is the same issue could be a kind of software problem? Or maybe all the nexus5 hardware will have issues with 4.4.3 or 4.4.4 ?

It's a hardware issue. A software update can't cause the flex cable or the display to go bad like that. If you have flashed back to fully stock and still have these issues, your only option is to replace the damaged parts.