XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Security Apps

Tip us?

dynamo147
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Default Security Apps

Hey guys, never really thought about it before because I'm a careful guy but I just gave my N4,to my little brother and now I'm curious, is there an app that can locate/lock/wipe/brick a phone remotely EVEN IF it lands in the capable hands of someone who could wipe/format it?

Obviously I'd prefer to be able to pinpoint it using forced GPS or forced internet regardless if the phone is set on location reporting off or data off. And would also like to only resort to the remote bricking as a last resort.
I've checked around and haven't been able to find any apps that fits my demanding request so I'm asking for a 'best fit' app that any of you all may know and free is always a plus

Tldr; is there an app that locates phones and devices if if its formatted or wiped?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using xda app-developers app

Neurotica
Old
Thanks Meter 106

DONATE TO ME
Once wiped, whatever app you paid for or got for free, is... wiped, hence answering your question.

Sent from my Nexus 5

dynamo147
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
So no steal proof methods?

Neurotica
Old
Thanks Meter 106

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynamo147 View Post
So no steal proof methods?
Other than you pretty much opening your phone, hardwiring a microscopic device to the battery and hoping no one finds it? Nope. Not that I know of. I could be wrong.

That would be quite an interesting concept to have though. Maybe a partition that isn't user accessible and not wiped as part of a factory reset. I doubt most thieves will go into recovery and flash roms and modify partitions. LOL

I wonder how that kill switch Samsung or one of the manufacturers want/ed to or have already introduced works, i.e whether a device wipe disabled that feature.
The Following User Says Thank You to Neurotica For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

dynamo147
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
A untouchable partition would be great, locked up by a user password, and ensuring constant validation and communication of each individual phone would be great since an imei # can only do so much

Sent from my Nexus 5 using xda app-developers app