Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

Why does it take so much longer to flash a ROM on the N5?

OP floepie

3rd July 2014, 02:58 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Flag Amsterdam
Thanks Meter: 397

1,845 posts
More
I used to be able to flash a ROM in mere seconds on the Nexus 4 and the HTC One X before that. Flashing a ROM on the N5 with either of the 2 custom recoveries takes on the order of several minutes (7-8 minutes). I'm sure there's a good reason for this. Are there additional checks in place? Surely, writing of the bits shouldn't take that long.
3rd July 2014, 03:02 PM   |  #2  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Mumbai
Thanks Meter: 2,453

4,239 posts
More
Somethings wrong at your end. It shouldn't take that long.. It takes hardly a minute to flash rom and gapps.

Use Philz Touch Recovery and see if it helps with the duration??

- Sent from an IceCold Hammerhead!
The Following User Says Thank You to vin4yak For This Useful Post: [ View ]
3rd July 2014, 03:14 PM   |  #3  
OP Senior Member
Flag Amsterdam

1,845 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by vin4yak

Somethings wrong at your end. It shouldn't take that long.. It takes hardly a minute to flash rom and gapps.

Use Philz Touch Recovery and see if it helps with the duration??

- Sent from an IceCold Hammerhead!

Interesting. I have gone back and forth with CWM and TWRP using only rooted stock ROMs (4.4.x) in zip format, and either recovery requires 7 to 8 minutes to flash. Strange.
3rd July 2014, 03:40 PM   |  #4  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Mumbai
Thanks Meter: 2,453

4,239 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by floepie

Interesting. I have gone back and forth with CWM and TWRP using only rooted stock ROMs (4.4.x) in zip format, and either recovery requires 7 to 8 minutes to flash. Strange.

Oh, you're talking about the stock ones? Then yes, stock rom takes a lot of time to flash irrespective of the recovery. I thought you were talking about custom roms.

Try out a custom rom like slimkat, aicp, etc.. I'm sure they will be done under a minute
The Following User Says Thank You to vin4yak For This Useful Post: [ View ]
3rd July 2014, 03:43 PM   |  #5  
OP Senior Member
Flag Amsterdam

1,845 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by vin4yak

Oh, you're talking about the stock ones? Then yes, stock rom takes a lot of time to flash irrespective of the recovery. I thought you were talking about custom roms.

Try out a custom rom like slimkat, aicp, etc.. I'm sure they will be done under a minute

Why would that be? It's just a ROM like all others? Same format (zip) and rooted, etc. I'm not talking about flashing an image or anything with fastboot. Furthermore, I remember the same with Cataclysm before Google updated to the next android version.
3rd July 2014, 03:54 PM   |  #6  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Springfield, Massachusetts
Thanks Meter: 2,213

3,336 posts
Donate to Me
More
Assuming you're on the latest TWRP/MultiROM...you shouldn't be experiencing a problem, except Android L. That takes forever to flash sometimes and even longer to boot. If you're on the latest recoveries, backup your data and flash a factory image and try again.

Seeing a stupid comment on Google Play about an app you love and marking it as "spam". You've done it too.
Last edited by TheLastSidekick; 3rd July 2014 at 03:56 PM.
3rd July 2014, 06:13 PM   |  #7  
Recognized Contributor
BROOKLYN!
Thanks Meter: 22,853

27,477 posts
it depends what rom you are flashing.. IT IS NOT ON YOUR END. most roms will take seconds to flash, while some roms whos developers havent updated their scripts have their roms take 7-10 minutes to flash. for example, original rastakat takes about 10 minutes to flash, while lichtis rastakat takes seconds. its because rascarlo hasnt updated his scripts.
The Following User Says Thank You to simms22 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
3rd July 2014, 06:21 PM   |  #8  
Flag Oxenhope, West Yorkshire, UK
Thanks Meter: 13,857

25,068 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by simms22

it depends what rom you are flashing.. IT IS NOT ON YOUR END. most roms will take seconds to flash, while some roms whos developers havent updated their scripts have their roms take 7-10 minutes to flash. for example, original rastakat takes about 10 minutes to flash, while lichtis rastakat takes seconds. its because rascarlo hasnt updated his scripts.

This. It's the formatting part in the scripts of mostly stock based roms.

There are 3 custom recoveries by the way!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rootSU For This Useful Post: [ View ]
3rd July 2014, 06:47 PM   |  #9  
OP Senior Member
Flag Amsterdam

1,845 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by rootSU

This. It's the formatting part in the scripts of mostly stock based roms.

There are 3 custom recoveries by the way!

Wait. So, are long waits script dependent or ROM dependent. If the former, why is it per se more likely that stock-based ROMs have outdated scripts?
3rd July 2014, 07:02 PM   |  #10  
Flag Oxenhope, West Yorkshire, UK
Thanks Meter: 13,857

25,068 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by floepie

Wait. So, are long waits script dependent or ROM dependent. If the former, why is it per se more likely that stock-based ROMs have outdated scripts?

Yes it's script dependant. Only ever seen it in stock roms ( and in all stock roms that I have personally flashed).

If I was to say why this is, I could only guess. But if you put a gun to my head, id say knowledge. To me stock ROM devs are really just modders. Maybe the more advanced AOSP devs just have a bit more backgrounds knowledge

---------- Post added at 06:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:52 PM ----------

Just to clarify, I don't mean come across negatively about stock ROM modders, we need them

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rootSU For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread