Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,811,702 Members 54,711 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Why does it take so much longer to flash a ROM on the N5?

Tip us?

floepie
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 342
Default Why does it take so much longer to flash a ROM on the N5?

I used to be able to flash a ROM in mere seconds on the Nexus 4 and the HTC One X before that. Flashing a ROM on the N5 with either of the 2 custom recoveries takes on the order of several minutes (7-8 minutes). I'm sure there's a good reason for this. Are there additional checks in place? Surely, writing of the bits shouldn't take that long.
XDA needs a "2nd Post Wiki" automatically generated in each thread. Such a thread wiki has proven effective on other sites to cut down on useless thread clutter and questions which have been answered repeatedly. The idea is simple. A community-editable wiki is inserted immediately beneath the OP to address current issues relating to the topic. Most OP/devs don't have the time to continually update their OP to address ongoing issues. Let's let the community do that for them!

vin4yak
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2,179

DONATE TO ME
Somethings wrong at your end. It shouldn't take that long.. It takes hardly a minute to flash rom and gapps.

Use Philz Touch Recovery and see if it helps with the duration??

- Sent from an IceCold Hammerhead!
The Following User Says Thank You to vin4yak For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

floepie
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 342
Quote:
Originally Posted by vin4yak View Post
Somethings wrong at your end. It shouldn't take that long.. It takes hardly a minute to flash rom and gapps.

Use Philz Touch Recovery and see if it helps with the duration??

- Sent from an IceCold Hammerhead!
Interesting. I have gone back and forth with CWM and TWRP using only rooted stock ROMs (4.4.x) in zip format, and either recovery requires 7 to 8 minutes to flash. Strange.
XDA needs a "2nd Post Wiki" automatically generated in each thread. Such a thread wiki has proven effective on other sites to cut down on useless thread clutter and questions which have been answered repeatedly. The idea is simple. A community-editable wiki is inserted immediately beneath the OP to address current issues relating to the topic. Most OP/devs don't have the time to continually update their OP to address ongoing issues. Let's let the community do that for them!

vin4yak
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2,179

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by floepie View Post
Interesting. I have gone back and forth with CWM and TWRP using only rooted stock ROMs (4.4.x) in zip format, and either recovery requires 7 to 8 minutes to flash. Strange.
Oh, you're talking about the stock ones? Then yes, stock rom takes a lot of time to flash irrespective of the recovery. I thought you were talking about custom roms.

Try out a custom rom like slimkat, aicp, etc.. I'm sure they will be done under a minute
The Following User Says Thank You to vin4yak For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

floepie
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 342
Quote:
Originally Posted by vin4yak View Post
Oh, you're talking about the stock ones? Then yes, stock rom takes a lot of time to flash irrespective of the recovery. I thought you were talking about custom roms.

Try out a custom rom like slimkat, aicp, etc.. I'm sure they will be done under a minute
Why would that be? It's just a ROM like all others? Same format (zip) and rooted, etc. I'm not talking about flashing an image or anything with fastboot. Furthermore, I remember the same with Cataclysm before Google updated to the next android version.

TheLastSidekick
Old
(Last edited by TheLastSidekick; 3rd July 2014 at 02:56 PM.)
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2,063

DONATE TO ME
Assuming you're on the latest TWRP/MultiROM...you shouldn't be experiencing a problem, except Android L. That takes forever to flash sometimes and even longer to boot. If you're on the latest recoveries, backup your data and flash a factory image and try again.

Seeing a stupid comment on Google Play about an app you love and marking it as "spam". You've done it too.
Team Inferno (Co-admin)

simms22
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 21,447
it depends what rom you are flashing.. IT IS NOT ON YOUR END. most roms will take seconds to flash, while some roms whos developers havent updated their scripts have their roms take 7-10 minutes to flash. for example, original rastakat takes about 10 minutes to flash, while lichtis rastakat takes seconds. its because rascarlo hasnt updated his scripts.
Google+ Profile
Twitter Simms22
DerKernel For Trinity kernels and more!
The Following User Says Thank You to simms22 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

rootSU
Old
Thanks Meter 11,417
Quote:
Originally Posted by simms22 View Post
it depends what rom you are flashing.. IT IS NOT ON YOUR END. most roms will take seconds to flash, while some roms whos developers havent updated their scripts have their roms take 7-10 minutes to flash. for example, original rastakat takes about 10 minutes to flash, while lichtis rastakat takes seconds. its because rascarlo hasnt updated his scripts.
This. It's the formatting part in the scripts of mostly stock based roms.

There are 3 custom recoveries by the way!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Want to root/unroot? All important guides and info threads are contained within the "Sticky Roll-up" thread in General. Click the link below to get there!

**Sticky Roll-up: All Guides snd Info Threads linked here**

Philz Touch Recovery with passkey secure lock

I do NOT reply to support queries over PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rootSU For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

floepie
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 342
Quote:
Originally Posted by rootSU View Post
This. It's the formatting part in the scripts of mostly stock based roms.

There are 3 custom recoveries by the way!

Wait. So, are long waits script dependent or ROM dependent. If the former, why is it per se more likely that stock-based ROMs have outdated scripts?

rootSU
Old
Thanks Meter 11,417
Quote:
Originally Posted by floepie View Post
Wait. So, are long waits script dependent or ROM dependent. If the former, why is it per se more likely that stock-based ROMs have outdated scripts?
Yes it's script dependant. Only ever seen it in stock roms ( and in all stock roms that I have personally flashed).

If I was to say why this is, I could only guess. But if you put a gun to my head, id say knowledge. To me stock ROM devs are really just modders. Maybe the more advanced AOSP devs just have a bit more backgrounds knowledge

---------- Post added at 06:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:52 PM ----------

Just to clarify, I don't mean come across negatively about stock ROM modders, we need them

Want to root/unroot? All important guides and info threads are contained within the "Sticky Roll-up" thread in General. Click the link below to get there!

**Sticky Roll-up: All Guides snd Info Threads linked here**

Philz Touch Recovery with passkey secure lock

I do NOT reply to support queries over PM.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rootSU For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]