Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,772,000 Members 38,636 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Set Gmail to sync manually?

Tip us?

ArtieQ
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 51
Default Set Gmail to sync manually?

How can I set so Gmail is set to sync manually? Now whenever I get a mail it notifies me instantly. I've checked every setting but can't find the sync option.
Google Nexus 5 16GB (LG-D821)

ROM: Cataclysm 4.4.2 (KOT49H) | Bootloader: HHZ11d | Recovery: TWRP 2.7.1.1 | Baseband: M8974A-1.0.25.0.23 | Kernel: Franco (R61)

simms22
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 21060
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtieQ View Post
How can I set so Gmail is set to sync manually? Now whenever I get a mail it notifies me instantly. I've checked every setting but can't find the sync option.
disable it in google sync first. now if you want to check for new mail, open gmail, then swipe down on the screen. or, press the menu(top right, 3 dots), then press refresh
Google+ Profile
Twitter Simms22
DerKernel For Trinity kernels and more!

El Daddy
Old
Forum Moderator
Thanks Meter 3769
Phone settings
Accounts/Google
Click email of choice
Uncheck Gmail

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

ArtieQ
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 51
Ah thanks guys, I must have missed that one lol. Will be interesting to see how much of a difference this will make to the battery as I get a lot of emails but usually just check my mail like 5 times a day or so.

ROM: Cataclysm 4.4.2 (KOT49H) | Bootloader: HHZ11d | Recovery: TWRP 2.7.1.1 | Baseband: M8974A-1.0.25.0.23 | Kernel: Franco (R61)

rootSU
Old
Thanks Meter 10677
Quote:
Ah thanks guys, I must have missed that one lol. Will be interesting to see how much of a difference this will make to the battery as I get a lot of emails but usually just check my mail like 5 times a day or so.
I wouldn't expect anything drastic

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Want to root/unroot? All important guides and info threads are contained within the "Sticky Roll-up" thread in General. Click the link below to get there!

Philz Touch Recovery with passkey secure lock

I do NOT reply to support queries over PM.

outofthisworld
Old
Thanks Meter 43
You're turning on the screen to check for email, isn't that potentially worse for battery life?

mistahseller
Old
Thanks Meter 192
You could look into tasker to automate it

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....taskerm&hl=en

ArtieQ
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by outofthisworld View Post
You're turning on the screen to check for email, isn't that potentially worse for battery life?
Uhm, I don't think so? Before Gmail was fetching all the time which meant the process was active at all times, now it's terminated so I would assume battery life will improve.

ArtieQ
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistahseller View Post
You could look into tasker to automate it

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....taskerm&hl=en
Gonna take a look at it.

rootSU
Old
Thanks Meter 10677
Quote:
Uhm, I don't think so? Before Gmail was fetching all the time which meant the process was active at all times, now it's terminated so I would assume battery life will improve.
The process just listens, it doesn't actively seek out anything. The process is still "active" even if you manually sync. With a scheduled refresh you will be "hand shaking" every time so this obviously uses more power than push. If you're only manually syncing 5 times a day, this can't be on that level so you may see a small increase (well you probably wont "see" or "notice" the difference) in battery life.

You'd have to have the screen on to read them anyway but it would be on longer with a manual sync as with push the e-mails would be already there and pull - you'd have the screen on whilst waiting for them to come in.

I don't think you will see any noticeable difference, but will be interesting to see your results...
Want to root/unroot? All important guides and info threads are contained within the "Sticky Roll-up" thread in General. Click the link below to get there!

Philz Touch Recovery with passkey secure lock

I do NOT reply to support queries over PM.