FORUMS

OnePlus 2 Forums: Discuss Everything About The OP2!

Now that the OnePlus 2 has been officially unveiled and that we have had close-up … more

Intel & Micron Announce “Revolutionary” Storage Tech

Intel & Micron have announced 3D Xpoint technology—”the … more

Google Now Interfaces With Third-Party Messaging Apps

Google has announced that Ok Google voice commands can now be used to send … more

Make Your Lockscreen More Productive With Widgets

Are you running Android Lollipop? Do you miss the ability to add widgets to your lock … more

[SOLVED] Shortcut to Restart Nova

1,772 posts
Thanks Meter: 401

By PhilipTD, Senior Member on 25th January 2014, 09:23 AM
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread
25th December 2014, 02:25 AM |#11  
Recognized Contributor
Flag えうれる
Thanks Meter: 3,208

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilipTD

Thanks, Bud. Actually, it works fine as is. I just created the task and use a gesture to run it. Nova restarts fine just like when you press the shortcut in Nova settings under "advanced". FINALLY!! And such a simple solution. Where have you been all these 11 months??!!

Only saw the thread because you bumped it lol.

Could you try killing it with Tasker but not restarting it in the task? I'm not sure, but it might restart by itself if its set as the home launcher; if so, restarting it manually with Tasker is not needed and could cause issues if its starting it again.

Also, was root access needed to kill the task with shell? I never had a need to do it so I never tried.
Last edited by Elluel; 25th December 2014 at 02:28 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Elluel For This Useful Post: [ View ]

25th December 2014, 02:46 AM |#12  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lethargy

Only saw the thread because you bumped it lol.

That's what I was hoping for. And, lo and behold....

Quote:

Could you try killing it with Tasker but not restarting it in the task? I'm not sure, but it might restart by itself if its set as the home launcher; if so, restarting it manually with Tasker is not needed and could cause issues if its starting it again.

The task I created included only the script exactly as you suggested, so it's just a "kill" command. I never added anything else to start Nova back up. When the task is run, Nova does, in fact, restart itself without any outside help from Tasker or otherwise. Nova is set as my default launcher.

Quote:

Also, was root access needed to kill the task with shell? I never had a need to do it so I never tried.

Yes, root access is required; I had assumed as much, so I had checked "run as root" from the beginning. I just went back and unchecked it to test it out, and, you were right, it does not work without root.

I did all this on my N5 because I was reading your post on my N6 and couldn't wait to try it. I'll report back if there's any problem running the same thing on the N6.

Thanks again.
25th December 2014, 03:01 AM |#13  
Recognized Contributor
Flag えうれる
Thanks Meter: 3,208

More
Quote:

That's what I was hoping for. And, lo and behold....

Quote:

The task I created included only the script exactly as you suggested, so it's just a "kill" command. I never added anything else to start Nova back up. When the task is run, Nova does, in fact, restart itself without any outside help from Tasker or otherwise. Nova is set as my default launcher.

Thought it might do that. If it isn't the default launcher then starting it up again is probably needed, then.

Quote:

Yes, root access is required; I had assumed as much, so I had checked "run as root" from the beginning. I just went back and unchecked it to test it out, and, you were right, it does not work without root.

Thought so. App instances are isolated and can't touch other apps without root access. In the case of running it with shell I guess it requires su so it prevent other apps from executing it to kill other apps.

Quote:

I did all this on my N5 because I was reading your post on my N6 and couldn't wait to try it. I'll report back if there's any problem running the same thing on the N6.

Thanks again.

No reason it wouldn't work, unless you're on pre-Honeycomb

Enjoy.
The Following User Says Thank You to Elluel For This Useful Post: [ View ]
9th January 2015, 04:26 AM |#14  
OP Senior Member

More
@Lethargy, FYI, I finally got around to testing it on my Nexus 6 (was away on vacation). Works great but had to add an action to launch Nova because, unlike on the N5, Nova did not reboot automatically. Thanks again.
The Following User Says Thank You to PhilipTD For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread