Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,740,354 Members 44,059 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Sideloaded app... safe?

Tip us?

roadrunnersk
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Question [Q] Sideloaded app... safe?

Hi everyone,

I've been a lurker on here, and post rarely, but I was wondering if I could get a bit of assistance. A friend of mine emailed me a Pandora app, said it was cool. Its a different design, version 1.7, labeled "Bad Seed Customs" on the front. Really slick interface, a bit slower than I'm used to, but its all dark so I'm good with it due to battery life savings.

It appears to have the same permissions as the market version of pandora.

How can I tell if its safe, and not like a keylogger or something? I installed it while on airplane mode and scanned it by Norton, it didnt flag it...but I'm still nervous. I like the app, just am paranoid. Apologies if this is a noob question!

jd1639
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 3070
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrunnersk View Post
Hi everyone,

I've been a lurker on here, and post rarely, but I was wondering if I could get a bit of assistance. A friend of mine emailed me a Pandora app, said it was cool. Its a different design, version 1.7, labeled "Bad Seed Customs" on the front. Really slick interface, a bit slower than I'm used to, but its all dark so I'm good with it due to battery life savings.

It appears to have the same permissions as the market version of pandora.

How can I tell if its safe, and not like a keylogger or something? I installed it while on airplane mode and scanned it by Norton, it didnt flag it...but I'm still nervous. I like the app, just am paranoid. Apologies if this is a noob question!
Google it, Pandora bad seeds custom. Looks ok

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Free mobile app

vin4yak
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1925

DONATE TO ME
Be it dark, light or of any color, it doesn't have any effect on battery life since our Nexus has a LCD panel.

- Sent from an IceCold Hammerhead!

Wakamatsu
Old
Thanks Meter 145
Most likely it's safe but this kind of reflection should really occur before you install.
Current phone: something with Android 4.something-something
The Following User Says Thank You to Wakamatsu For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

roadrunnersk
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Hmm... didn't know there were no battery savings. Thank you for that info, noted. I do like the design though, a lot more than stock pandora.

I did think of this prior to installing; was in airplane mode, installed the app, scanned it, uninstalled, left airplane mode... it couldn't have really stolen data, right?

I also did google it, I didn't really find much. I found an old XDA thread, which had a ton of replies, so I'd say it would be fine if I had gotten it from there but the download link had been removed from the thread... the rest of the stuff is just like no-name sources saying "hey here's some candy, get in the van, download this file bro" kinda thing. Turns out that this version is no adds / unlimited skips, according to the google results, I'm assuming the Bad Seed Customs folks hacked the app... worries me more lol.

Talked to my buddy a minute ago, turns out he got the app from a buddy of his, who got it on some website... probably the google search results. Uhg, dilemmas.