CPU Spy Gets an Android Lollipop Makeover

At some point in the distant past, you probably heard of CPU Spy for Android by XDARetired … more

Amazon Fire TV Stick vs Chromecast – XDA TV

There is no doubt that Amazon is a huge player in many markets, and they want to be a huge … more

Fight the Heat and Conserve Battery with EaseUS Coolphone

Memory hungry Android applications are often responsible for making our device … more

Battery Charged in 30 Seconds? Maybe in 2016

Phones and tablets are getting more and more power hungry with each passing generation. Their … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[Q] Signal drop

OP surrealjam

25th February 2014, 03:45 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Flag Birmingham
Thanks Meter: 60

322 posts
Hi all

I bought a Nexus 5 yesterday. All good but today, the signal (that is, mobile signal) dropped and even with a flight mode on/off and re-scan for networks it did not pick up. In the end, I had to reboot.

It is completely stock 4.4.2 and I'm just wondering if this sort of thing is a common issue. The only thing I can think is I was definitely in a no signal "black spot" for maybe 15 minutes prior to the drop so it's almost like it "froze" and didn't want to pick up the network when it returned.

Thanks
James
25th February 2014, 05:15 PM   |  #2  
Flag Boston
Thanks Meter: 74

246 posts
More
Same exact issue, Sir.

It seems to be common, but I have minimized it by installing a custom ROM (I'm using the Cyanogen Nightlies) It is a known issue though from what I have heard.
25th February 2014, 05:50 PM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 223

827 posts
I think Google will fix this issue on the next update,so don't worry,it's known issue,and enjoy your device!
25th February 2014, 05:54 PM   |  #4  
Quote:
Originally Posted by surrealjam

Hi all

I bought a Nexus 5 yesterday. All good but today, the signal (that is, mobile signal) dropped and even with a flight mode on/off and re-scan for networks it did not pick up. In the end, I had to reboot.

It is completely stock 4.4.2 and I'm just wondering if this sort of thing is a common issue. The only thing I can think is I was definitely in a no signal "black spot" for maybe 15 minutes prior to the drop so it's almost like it "froze" and didn't want to pick up the network when it returned.

Thanks
James

set your "preferred network type" to 2G (even if "data enabled" is not enabled), you will notice that signal will be stronger
The Following User Says Thank You to samersh72 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
25th February 2014, 06:03 PM   |  #5  
OP Senior Member
Flag Birmingham
Thanks Meter: 60

322 posts
Thanks for the advice, guys. Like you say - as long as it's a known issue then hopefully a future update will resolve it.

For the "set to 2g only" advice - I only get the option of 3g or 4g? I already set this set to 3g only as I don't have a 4g data contract anyway.
26th February 2014, 03:42 AM   |  #6  
Flag Wichita KS
Thanks Meter: 273

1,957 posts
More
Try flashing a different radio. It makes tons of difference on signal quality.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using xda app-developers app
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread