5,603,646 Members 37,134 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Signal drops since 4.2.2

Tip us?

KennyG9
Old
(Last edited by KennyG9; 19th December 2013 at 09:40 PM.)
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 6

DONATE TO ME
Default Signal drops since 4.2.2

Hi everyone.
I owned a Nexus 5 one month ago, but unfortunately, it does not work as expected. On 4.4.0, I had multiple issues concerning network already (unable to switch to 3G networks only, very variable HSPA signal reception (from 4/4 bars to Edge exactly at the same place), ...). This issues were supposed to be fixed with 4.4.2 and most of them are, excepting HSPA signal which is still very weird. However 4.2.2 brings my phone another issue that I didn't noticed on 4.4.0 which is a very annoying and repetitive complete signal blackout (no reception at all (Edge/HSPA), even for emergency calls I guess). Signal drop can happen twice in an hour, twice in 10 minutes or may not happen at all 3-4-5 hours long. It's completely unpredictable. After a while, Edge signal (not HSPA !!) gets back by itself. If I wait 10-20 more minutes, HSPA comes back again, until it drops again.
Moreover, at phone boot, just after typing my PIN Code, it usually takes 2 or 3 minutes to catch a signal. Very slow isn't it ?

It does not seem to be a network issue, since my Samsung Galaxy S III doesn't encounter this using the same SIM card.

I read on Google forums and probably some XDA threads that I was not the only one to face this kind of network issues, even on 4.4.2, but issue description was each time a bit different from mine, thus I tought that it may be useful to post a new thread to describe precisely what was my problem.

Edit : My Nexus 5 is unlocked and rooted, but issue is present on untouched 4.2.2 also.
Edit 2 : http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2525583 is probably my issue.

Do no hesitate to answer if you're thinking that you have the same issue (or kind of) or if you think that you know something that may help.
Thank you .
KennyG9

mattfox27
Old
Thanks Meter 83

DONATE TO ME
You can flash the radio from version 4.4 that helps a lot, I'm at work just search this forum the directions are here, it's easy.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

zombicidal maniac
Old
Thanks Meter 27
^^ He appears to be talking about the link below. You can flash different modems that may work. Some people say different modems helped but I've had no such luck. I've flashed every modem available and still don't have data almost everywhere I go. I have data at home but that doesn't really matter since I don't need my phone at home.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2514095
-Always bring a banana to a party-

dicecuber
Old
Account currently disabled
Thanks Meter 51
Did you try flashing your carrier's specific radio?

Team Nexus 5 sucks

zombicidal maniac
Old
(Last edited by zombicidal maniac; 21st December 2013 at 02:51 PM.)
Thanks Meter 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by dicecuber View Post
Did you try flashing your carrier's specific radio?

Team Nexus 5 sucks
Were would one find the carrier specific radio? I'm on T-Mobile but have only found the thread with modems. Nothing carrier specific.
-Always bring a banana to a party-

KennyG9
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 6

DONATE TO ME
Thanks for your answers. Unfortunately, flashing different modems does not seem to help .

illnez
Old
Thanks Meter 9
i've read, the .15 is good with t-mobile.
i'm testing it today too. my problem is not only a signal drop, i have only edge too and my modem won't switch back to umts or hspa(+).
i'm in germany with t-mobile (congstar).
Please hit the thanks button if my post was helpfull