XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Signal problem - Emergency only

Tip us?

SeraldoBabalu
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 35
Question Signal problem - Emergency only

My Nexus 5 has been exhibiting this problem pretty much since I got the phone.

Randomly it will go into Emergency Calls Only mode. Turning airplane mode on/off or rebooting will fix the issue for a few hours but the phone will eventually lose signal again.

I've factory reset - same problem.
I've flashed the google factory image - same problem.
Phone bootloader is locked and not rooted.

It was happening probably once every 12 hours but today alone it's happened 3 times in 8 hours. This does not occur on any of my other 4 phones including Nexus 4 and Note 2.

I contacted Google to get a replacement and it should arrive by Friday.

My question is: has anyone else experienced this issue? I've seen sporadic similar reports peppered here and there but nothing that I can confirm is the exact same issue as mine.
HTC One M7
Google Nexus 5
Samsung Galaxy Note 2
Google Nexus 4
Samsung Galaxy Nexus
Samsung Galaxy S2 Skyrocket

trendiggity
Old
Thanks Meter 8
You are not crazy! This has happened to me as well. Google Play bought 32GB white model.

I only noticed it after turning off LTE in a spotty service area. I would still show several bars of 3G or H as if I was connected but my carrier info (Fido, Canadian) would read emerg. calls only. Stranger still, I could receive texts but not send them. Airplane mode on and off fixed the issue, but it would randomly reoccur.

I'm back in a good H+ service area and haven't noticed the issue again.

---------- Post added at 04:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:03 PM ----------

I'd like to add that I don't know if disabling LTE had anything to do with the problem but that is when I first noticed it.
The Following User Says Thank You to trendiggity For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

anthonyly
Old
Thanks Meter 36
Posted a reply last night but I guess it never came through

Same here tho my signal would be full bars then the next moment it's gonna have no bars and then showing emergency call on lock screen.... I'm guessing it's the phone problem... Is this a defect?

Well tell us if anything changes with the new Nexus because I don't really feel like calling them for a replacement then unrooting and all of that over again if it's the phone itself or maybe it's just Canadians
The Following User Says Thank You to anthonyly For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

palabook
Old
Thanks Meter 4
i hope this is just a bug coz i dont wanna return the phone coz i already put the screen protector. lol.

happened to me in the morning.... didnt happen again after. but who knows when it will happen again.
The Following User Says Thank You to palabook For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

SeraldoBabalu
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 35
It's a double-edged sword. Glad to know I'm not the only one but at the same time it sounds like a somewhat common issue.

Mine also show good signal when this happens. I've never switched LTE on or off so I don't think it is related to that.

I'll keep you posted on the new device. I should receive it on Friday.
HTC One M7
Google Nexus 5
Samsung Galaxy Note 2
Google Nexus 4
Samsung Galaxy Nexus
Samsung Galaxy S2 Skyrocket

anthonyly
Old
Thanks Meter 36
maybe this is happening to everyone... thought it mightve been my new sim but i guess im wrong ima bookmark this thread so i can find it on friday ahah
The Following User Says Thank You to anthonyly For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

FloppyDrive
Old
Thanks Meter 5
This is a common issue so it probably affects all phones. I also have a problem with not receiving voicemail notifications. Fortunately I still seem to receive calls when it's in emergency mode.

I'm getting a replacement phone on Monday due to black specks on the screen, but I suspect these issues will also show up in the new phone.

Letitride
Old
Thanks Meter 176
I was on WiFi over home's Fios over N router, updating apps - "Google +" as a matter of fact, when it happened, lost connection & just dropped while downloading. Hit "Retry" button & it resumed - unlikely a problem unique to LTE or HSPA (mobile data) signal from the carrier.

Now, of course, mine (rooted, odex Rom, stock kernel & adv. power menu, and no other mods) is optimized for maximum battery life with non-default settings, and Google Now listen turned off, etc. - new T-Mo micro-Sim that's on PAYG voice plan only & LTE not turned on - since I'm still playing with Talkatone app for voice calling instead of using minues.

Keeping in mind that we are pioneers "field testing" the newest 4.4 KitKat OS for Google with this hot selling device - expect an update or patch from them soon ... probably later.
Google Nexus 5 - 4.4.2 !! *rooted* stock - x 2 in black & white: T-Mo 4G
Asus 2012 Nexus 7 32GB WiFi, 4.4.2 *rooted* stock
HTC Incredible 2 x 2, unlocked S-OFF CWM 5.x HB.97 (6.13.1002) SR's Zeus R1.3, Sense v5.0.m-e4: AT&T/T-Mo
Viewsonic Vpad7-CWM 5.x EUv1.7b ITE Rom 2.2.2 hw107, A2SD, 3G+WiFi
HTC Droid Eris-GB 2.3.5 CM7 V.24RIP-Vanila-ICS, WiFi only (2.42.02.10.29)
HTC Ozone (unlocked GSM+CDMA) 3VO ROM: WinMo 6.5: CMHK/CN+
Sony E. W995 CID53Red, R1HA036 generic, C905 custpack

offwiththeface
Old
Thanks Meter 66
Same problem on a almost perfect nexus 5 no other issues what so ever so I'm kinda worried that my replacement device may have one of those other defects that people are reporting. Fingers are crossed for a software update that fixes this issue so I can reject the replacement device and keep this one. BTW Also a Canadian phone on rogers here

Sent from my Nexus 5 using xda app-developers app

FloppyDrive
Old
Thanks Meter 5
It's quite possible that it is a Rogers/Fido problem.

The Following User Says Thank You to FloppyDrive For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]