Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,729,054 Members 40,766 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Flashing PA with locked bootloader?

Tip us?
 
julbra18
Old
(Last edited by julbra18; 17th June 2014 at 06:33 AM.)
#1  
julbra18's Avatar
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 6
Posts: 61
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Vienna
Default Flashing PA with locked bootloader?

Good morning!

So, yesterday evening I rooted my N5 with Towelroot, installed TWRP and then flashed the latest SuperSU! Everything went fine and now I want to install PA (4.4 RC1). But I'm not quite sure if I need to unlock the bootloader for that... I think that only needs to be done for a kernel. So what should I do? Leave it locked and flash PA, or unlock it and flash PA?

Also, if someone could set me up with the 4.4.3 gapps, that would be nice. I downloaded a file, but its not a mini version and only has 97MB. The full versions are a lot bigger if I remember correctly, aren't they?

Anyway thanks!

*edit: I'm currently on the 4.4.3 stock ROM. That means that I don't need to update my radio, because it should already be the latest version from the OTA... Correct me if In wrong though!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
 
rootSU
Old
#2  
rootSU's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 9728
Posts: 20,889
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Oxenhope, West Yorkshire, UK
Please can you ensure you ask questions in the questions section ?

The bootloader only needs to be unlocked to flash recovery which you need for rooting. This isn't an issue for you because you used the new exploit that means you can root without having to unlock the bootloader

Even though you've rooted already, I strongly urge you to read the pre root section in the thread shown in my signature to bump up your basic knowledge

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Want to root/unroot? All important guides and info threads are contained within the "Sticky Roll-up" thread in General. Click the link below to get there!



Philz Touch Recovery with passkey secure lock

I do NOT reply to support queries over PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to rootSU For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
julbra18
Old
#3  
julbra18's Avatar
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 6
Posts: 61
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Vienna
Quote:
Originally Posted by rootSU View Post
Please can you ensure you ask questions in the questions section ?

The bootloader only needs to be unlocked to flash recovery which you need for rooting. This isn't an issue for you because you used the new exploit that means you can root without having to unlock the bootloader

Even though you've rooted already, I strongly urge you to read the pre root section in the thread shown in my signature to bump up your basic knowledge

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
I do have basic knowledge (rooted my Nexus Phones before, every time with fastboot). I'm just asking if it is important to unlock the hootloader before flashing a ROM, as I'm not sure. Sorry for posting in the false section...

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to julbra18 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
fxdil
Old
#4  
fxdil's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 22
Posts: 116
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Singapore
Quote:
Originally Posted by julbra18 View Post
I do have basic knowledge (rooted my Nexus Phones before, every time with fastboot). I'm just asking if it is important to unlock the hootloader before flashing a ROM, as I'm not sure. Sorry for posting in the false section...

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
You can install custom ROMs, but only ROMs based on stock firmware and using stock kernel. ROMs like CyanogenMod, you can't install at all because you cannot flash the custom kernel that comes with it. Unlocked bootloader allows you to install unsigned kernels onto your phone.
Device: LG Nexus 5
ROM: Stock + GravityBox + Greenify + Gravity Screen
Kernel: ElementalX-N5-0.45
Recovery: TWRP 2.7.1
The Following User Says Thank You to fxdil For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
rootSU
Old
#5  
rootSU's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 9728
Posts: 20,889
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Oxenhope, West Yorkshire, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by fxdil View Post
You can install custom ROMs, but only ROMs based on stock firmware and using stock kernel. ROMs like CyanogenMod, you can't install at all because you cannot flash the custom kernel that comes with it. Unlocked bootloader allows you to install unsigned kernels onto your phone.
Where did you get this information? My bootloader is locked and I can flash all kernels via recovery

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Want to root/unroot? All important guides and info threads are contained within the "Sticky Roll-up" thread in General. Click the link below to get there!



Philz Touch Recovery with passkey secure lock

I do NOT reply to support queries over PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rootSU For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
fxdil
Old
#6  
fxdil's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 22
Posts: 116
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Singapore
Quote:
Originally Posted by rootSU View Post
Where did you get this information? My bootloader is locked and I can flash all kernels via recovery

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Isn't that the case, or have I been misinformed? I left my boot loader unlocked since the day I was rooted, mostly because of that fact (I remembered reading it somewhere) and also because I can't do a RMA.

Sent using Etch-a-Sketch
Device: LG Nexus 5
ROM: Stock + GravityBox + Greenify + Gravity Screen
Kernel: ElementalX-N5-0.45
Recovery: TWRP 2.7.1
The Following User Says Thank You to fxdil For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
Lethargy
Old
#7  
Lethargy's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 658
Posts: 1,312
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Sydney, Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by fxdil View Post
Isn't that the case, or have I been misinformed? I left my boot loader unlocked since the day I was rooted, mostly because of that fact (I remembered reading it somewhere) and also because I can't do a RMA.

Sent using Etch-a-Sketch
You unlock the bootloader to flash a custom recovery. You flash kernels/ROMs in a custom recovery, not in bootloader.

Also this thread is in the wrong section.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyphur
You ask us to understand your position. Well if you want to benefit from our experience and time then I think it is only fair that you understand our position.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lethargy For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
julbra18
Old
#8  
julbra18's Avatar
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 6
Posts: 61
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Vienna
So, if I just unlock my bootloader with bootunlock I won't have any problems?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
 
rootSU
Old
#9  
rootSU's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 9728
Posts: 20,889
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Oxenhope, West Yorkshire, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by julbra18 View Post
So, if I just unlock my bootloader with bootunlock I won't have any problems?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Sure. Also you wont have any problems if you DON'T unlock your bootloader

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Want to root/unroot? All important guides and info threads are contained within the "Sticky Roll-up" thread in General. Click the link below to get there!



Philz Touch Recovery with passkey secure lock

I do NOT reply to support queries over PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to rootSU For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
fxdil
Old
#10  
fxdil's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 22
Posts: 116
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Singapore
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lethargy View Post
You unlock the bootloader to flash a custom recovery. You flash kernels/ROMs in a custom recovery, not in bootloader.

Also this thread is in the wrong section.
That was where I was getting at, since I learnt to root using the manual way and not using a toolkit, I had to unlock my bootloader first before flashing a custom recovery. Never occurred to me to relock it.

(if I made a mistake somewhere, I apologized. I'm still learning, and learnt something new today!)
Device: LG Nexus 5
ROM: Stock + GravityBox + Greenify + Gravity Screen
Kernel: ElementalX-N5-0.45
Recovery: TWRP 2.7.1

The Following User Says Thank You to fxdil For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes