Flashing PA with locked bootloader?

17th June 2014, 06:07 AM   |  #1  
OP Member
Flag Vienna
Thanks Meter: 6

61 posts
More
Good morning!

So, yesterday evening I rooted my N5 with Towelroot, installed TWRP and then flashed the latest SuperSU! Everything went fine and now I want to install PA (4.4 RC1). But I'm not quite sure if I need to unlock the bootloader for that... I think that only needs to be done for a kernel. So what should I do? Leave it locked and flash PA, or unlock it and flash PA?

Also, if someone could set me up with the 4.4.3 gapps, that would be nice. I downloaded a file, but its not a mini version and only has 97MB. The full versions are a lot bigger if I remember correctly, aren't they?

Anyway thanks!

*edit: I'm currently on the 4.4.3 stock ROM. That means that I don't need to update my radio, because it should already be the latest version from the OTA... Correct me if In wrong though!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Last edited by julbra18; 17th June 2014 at 06:33 AM.
17th June 2014, 07:05 AM   |  #2  
Flag Oxenhope, West Yorkshire, UK
Thanks Meter: 11,678

22,638 posts
More
Please can you ensure you ask questions in the questions section ?

The bootloader only needs to be unlocked to flash recovery which you need for rooting. This isn't an issue for you because you used the new exploit that means you can root without having to unlock the bootloader

Even though you've rooted already, I strongly urge you to read the pre root section in the thread shown in my signature to bump up your basic knowledge

The Following User Says Thank You to rootSU For This Useful Post: [ View ]
17th June 2014, 07:53 AM   |  #3  
OP Member
Flag Vienna

61 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by rootSU

Please can you ensure you ask questions in the questions section ?

The bootloader only needs to be unlocked to flash recovery which you need for rooting. This isn't an issue for you because you used the new exploit that means you can root without having to unlock the bootloader

Even though you've rooted already, I strongly urge you to read the pre root section in the thread shown in my signature to bump up your basic knowledge

I do have basic knowledge (rooted my Nexus Phones before, every time with fastboot). I'm just asking if it is important to unlock the hootloader before flashing a ROM, as I'm not sure. Sorry for posting in the false section...

The Following User Says Thank You to julbra18 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
17th June 2014, 08:31 AM   |  #4  
Flag Singapore
Thanks Meter: 22

116 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by julbra18

I do have basic knowledge (rooted my Nexus Phones before, every time with fastboot). I'm just asking if it is important to unlock the hootloader before flashing a ROM, as I'm not sure. Sorry for posting in the false section...

You can install custom ROMs, but only ROMs based on stock firmware and using stock kernel. ROMs like CyanogenMod, you can't install at all because you cannot flash the custom kernel that comes with it. Unlocked bootloader allows you to install unsigned kernels onto your phone.
The Following User Says Thank You to fxdil For This Useful Post: [ View ]
17th June 2014, 08:35 AM   |  #5  

22,638 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by fxdil

You can install custom ROMs, but only ROMs based on stock firmware and using stock kernel. ROMs like CyanogenMod, you can't install at all because you cannot flash the custom kernel that comes with it. Unlocked bootloader allows you to install unsigned kernels onto your phone.

Where did you get this information? My bootloader is locked and I can flash all kernels via recovery

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rootSU For This Useful Post: [ View ]
17th June 2014, 08:40 AM   |  #6  
Flag Singapore

116 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by rootSU

Where did you get this information? My bootloader is locked and I can flash all kernels via recovery

Isn't that the case, or have I been misinformed? I left my boot loader unlocked since the day I was rooted, mostly because of that fact (I remembered reading it somewhere) and also because I can't do a RMA.

Sent using Etch-a-Sketch
17th June 2014, 08:48 AM   |  #7  
Flag Somewhere quiet.
Thanks Meter: 1,754

3,046 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by fxdil

Isn't that the case, or have I been misinformed? I left my boot loader unlocked since the day I was rooted, mostly because of that fact (I remembered reading it somewhere) and also because I can't do a RMA.

Sent using Etch-a-Sketch

You unlock the bootloader to flash a custom recovery. You flash kernels/ROMs in a custom recovery, not in bootloader.

Also this thread is in the wrong section.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lethargy For This Useful Post: [ View ]
17th June 2014, 08:48 AM   |  #8  
OP Member
Flag Vienna

61 posts
More
So, if I just unlock my bootloader with bootunlock I won't have any problems?

17th June 2014, 08:53 AM   |  #9  

22,638 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by julbra18

So, if I just unlock my bootloader with bootunlock I won't have any problems?

Sure. Also you wont have any problems if you DON'T unlock your bootloader

The Following User Says Thank You to rootSU For This Useful Post: [ View ]
17th June 2014, 08:54 AM   |  #10  
Flag Singapore

116 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lethargy

You unlock the bootloader to flash a custom recovery. You flash kernels/ROMs in a custom recovery, not in bootloader.

Also this thread is in the wrong section.

That was where I was getting at, since I learnt to root using the manual way and not using a toolkit, I had to unlock my bootloader first before flashing a custom recovery. Never occurred to me to relock it.

(if I made a mistake somewhere, I apologized. I'm still learning, and learnt something new today!)

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread