Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,742,083 Members 50,463 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

SIM tray IMEI

Tip us?

cmstlist
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 480
Default SIM tray IMEI

I didn't know until recently that an IMEI number is printed on the Nexus 5 SIM tray. I checked and mine doesn't match. I am pretty sure it's because I did an advance warranty swap for dead pixels in November, and absentmindedly switched the trays. Google never complained.

Could this possibly cause any warranty issues if I had to get it serviced again?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

rootSU
Old
Thanks Meter 10075
No. Its a removable piece of plastic.
Want to root/unroot? All important guides and info threads are contained within the "Sticky Roll-up" thread in General. Click the link below to get there!

Philz Touch Recovery with passkey secure lock

I do NOT reply to support queries over PM.

cmstlist
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 480
Okay. I've read that in Apple land that a mismatched SIM tray may result in warranty service being refused. Didn't know if it could be the same for us.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

vin4yak
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1948

DONATE TO ME
I was just curious.. How do they verify that it's your IMEI and not anyone else's if the motherboard gets fried??

Let's say I have a 32gb Black N5 with IMEI: 100 purchased from a different country. My mobo is dead and obviously I can't claim warranty here in India since it was purchased from a different country.
Now suppose I have a friend who also has a black 32gb N5 with IMEI: 200 which is purchased in India.

Couldn't I just swap the sim tray with his, take his invoice and get it repaired under warranty? How will they know that I'm cheating? They can't turn on the phone so they can only verify the IMEI using the sim tray.
Do they change the sim tray as well when they send me back the repaired device? Or do they note it down their servers that the IMEI has changed from 200 to 300 (new swapped mobo).

radkor
Old
Thanks Meter 212
There's a sticker with IMEI (exactly the same as in the back of new phone) underneath back cover.
http://d3nevzfk7ii3be.cloudfront.net...5iTNuxHlb.huge

Wysłane z mojego Nexus 5 przy użyciu Tapatalka