Google Play Developer Distribution Agreement Due Tomorrow

Every once in a while, Google updates theGoogle PlayDeveloper Distribution … more

LG to Release Octa-Core “Nuclun” SoC in the LG G3 Screen

LG is set to follow the likes of Samsung and other manufacture its own … more

Lockdown Pro 2 Brings Material Design and Media Support

Back in March of this year, we took a look at a rather innovated security application … more

Mural Watchface Brings 500px to Android Wear

On a traditional watch, you can’t really do too much to change its appearance once … more

[Q] Slow data during call

OP smt8544

24th June 2014, 01:15 AM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Flag Melbourne
Thanks Meter: 57

195 posts
More
Hey guys, I recently purchased a Nexus 5 32GB to replace my HTC IncS. It is running stock android and kernel, but rooted. I am on Amaysim in Australia (on the Optus 3G network) with connection preference set to 3G (as i don't have 4G service on my plan). My problem is whenever I am in a call, I get my 3G data speed reduced to unusable speeds. This didn't used to happen on my old device, anybody else having this problem?
24th June 2014, 06:29 AM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 1,734

6,173 posts
I've always noticed this on all phones. If you're on 4G it'll drop to H in call etc... It always drops down a level or 2

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
24th June 2014, 07:31 AM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 21

109 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben36

I've always noticed this on all phones. If you're on 4G it'll drop to H in call etc... It always drops down a level or 2

I suppose that happens too with a H connection as in it'll drop the speed. The call (quite rightly so imo) should take priority over data connection.

Sent from my Nexus 5
24th June 2014, 01:53 PM   |  #4  
OP Senior Member
Flag Melbourne

195 posts
More
This is interesting, because I never noticed this problem on my old HTC IncS
24th June 2014, 03:33 PM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 1,734

6,173 posts
I've always noticed it. Never actually known if it's phone or network related tho

24th June 2014, 05:41 PM   |  #6  
Flag Venezuela
Thanks Meter: 31

153 posts
More
The signal tends to downgrade when calling, on my old lg op2x the signal went from H+ to E or G. For the sake of your question I made a call and tried to open a webpage and even though the signal was still on H the download speed didn't went over 1.5KB/s, after a few seconds of hanging up got to 285KB/s after.

I once rea about a US carrier that was offering a service where your data wouldn't drop on call, I don't remember if it was with an specific device though
24th June 2014, 11:19 PM   |  #7  
OP Senior Member
Flag Melbourne

195 posts
More
I do know that the US CDMA networks cannot operate data and voice simultaneously but it suprises me that it is seemingly almost as bad on GSM, seeing as simultaneously voice and data is part of the GSM spec.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread