5,606,465 Members 33,132 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Slow internet with Nexus 5 - Anyone using N5 with Straighttalk in SF?

Tip us?

vincent514
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Slow internet with Nexus 5 - Anyone using N5 with Straighttalk in SF?

I just received the new Nexus 5 (dec 17). I am using it with StraightTalk (AT&T network).
Since I activated the phone, I am experiencing slow internet and connectivity issues.
The network indicator on my phone indicates 'LTE' so I know I am connected on the LTE network.
I used the Speedtest app to determine my internet speed. Here is the kind of speed I have (in download):
With 1 bar signal strength: < 1 Mbs
With 2 bar signal strength: 1 to 3 Mbs
With 3 bar signal strength: 3 to 5 Mbs
With 4 bar signal strength: 7 to 15 Mbs
In average, I have no more than 2 to 5 Mbs in San Francisco. Strangely my upload speed seems almost normal, and is always higher than my download speed (as high as 5 times higher), which is weird.

It seems rather slow to me for a LTE (4G) connection.
People are reporting speed as high as 25 Mbs with the Nexus 5 (even on StraightTalk), and 15 Mbs with only 2 bars of signal.
I know many things could explain a slow internet on a mobile phone: your local LTE network, the setting of your account by your network provider, your network setting in the phone (APN), a defective phone, etc.

In order to eliminate most of these possibilities, I would like to know if anyone is using the Nexus 5 with StraightTalk in the San Francisco area and is having higher average speed than what I have?
If it's the case, I would have to conclude that my phone is faulty.

Thanks!

For information, my APN setting is the following (recommended by StraightTalk Costumer Support):
NAME Straight Talk
APN tfdata
Port 80
MMSC mms-tf.net
MMS PROXY mms3.tracfone.com
MMS PORT 80
MCC 310
MNC 410

simms22
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 18127
just because your lte can be as fast as 25mbps download speed, it depends on your locality, your distance from the nearest tower, how busy your local connection is.. among other things. if someone else is using the exact same service as you, but are in a different location of san fran, and are getting 35mbps download speed, and you are just getting 5mbps download in your location, thats still normal. im in nyc, sometimes i get 38mbps download speed, sometimes i only get 7-8mbps, depends on my exact location and how busy that local network is.
Google+ Profile
Twitter Simms22
DerKernel For Trinity kernels and more!

vincent514
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by simms22 View Post
just because your lte can be as fast as 25mbps download speed, it depends on your locality, your distance from the nearest tower, how busy your local connection is.. among other things. if someone else is using the exact same service as you, but are in a different location of san fran, and are getting 35mbps download speed, and you are just getting 5mbps download in your location, thats still normal. im in nyc, sometimes i get 38mbps download speed, sometimes i only get 7-8mbps, depends on my exact location and how busy that local network is.
Hi simms22, thanks for your input, it's appreciated.
My understanding was also that bandwidth will depend on the local network (as well as all the other things you mentioned), for example att/straighttalk network in Miami is different than att/straighttalk in San Francisco. That's why I asked if there was anyone using the Nexus 5 with StraightTalk (or any provider using the AT&T network, such as Aio or GoPhone) in the San Francisco area? And what internet speed they were getting on average? I am curious to know if it would be similar to what I am getting: 2 to 5 mbs on average, and never higher than 15 mbs...

RED ZMAN
Old
Thanks Meter 212

DONATE TO ME
SF, ahh, San Francisco.

I thought you were talking about Santa Fe.

Samsung Galaxy S III Pebble Blue - CM10.1 Masta Mix - TWRP 2.5.0.0
Nexus 7 (In Dashboard) - Timur's USB ROM - CM10.1 Based - TWRP 2.5.0.0
HTC Rezound - Unlocked - NeWts zOnE XxX RLS 3.2.1 - Selling!
HTC Evo View 4g - S-Off CG Rom RC2.2 AOKP
Galaxy Tab 7 2 - CM 10.1 Nightlies
ASUS Transformer - Team EOS 4 (4.2.2) Nightlies - K.A.T. Kernel
Galaxy Tab 7 - 4.1.1 - Sapir Nightlies - Retired
Droid X - CM7 Rev Numbers GB Nightlies - Still works!
G1 - CM6 - Still works!