[Q] SMS AOSP App?

Search This thread

FernandoRocker

Mar 15, 2013
So... I just got the Nexus 5 a couple of days ago. I love the phone.

But... I really do not like Hangouts. I use WhatsApp, and sometimes SMS. But I do not like Hangouts for SMS. Is there a way to install the SMS app from the Nexus 4? Like a AOSP version? If so... where can I find the app?

Thanks.

95Z28

Apr 29, 2011
I use 8sms. It looks like the AOSP SMS app but adds a couple nice features, like the option for a popup when you receive a SMS. I set it as default messaging app and it works perfectly.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda premium

Reactions: meangreenie

FernandoRocker

Mar 15, 2013
I use 8sms. It looks like the AOSP SMS app but adds a couple nice features, like the option for a popup when you receive a SMS. I set it as default messaging app and it works perfectly.

I just tried the 8sms app. You will probably call me crazy, but I didn't like it for one reason. The icon. Ughh.

Reactions: kihope12

Technecium

Oct 6, 2007

enndub

Jul 8, 2013
I built Mms.apk from aosp 4.4.2 today because I don't want to use Hangouts. I don't have carrier service so I'm not sure it will even work properly. If someone could test it that would be very cool. And maybe you'll get the app you're looking for.

https://mega.co.nz/#!BkcBxAJa!2k4bJ5M-d0uItbCBvl7hFCK_X0kTo9amdJaIPwbbNx0

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Cool, just installed and converted to system app with TB. Working great!

Reactions: ndevries

gcng

Sep 21, 2010
Brooklyn, NYC

IIMaxII

Jun 22, 2013
Buffalo
I think 8Sms is a better idea than using the messaging app compiled from source, because 8sms is the same thing, but constant bug fixes that are released through Google Play...which I find better.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Here's the MMS.apk from Purity Rom, it has more options like full timestamps and quick reply.

I just tried the 8sms app. You will probably call me crazy, but I didn't like it for one reason. The icon. Ughh.
    I built Mms.apk from aosp 4.4.2 today because I don't want to use Hangouts. I don't have carrier service so I'm not sure it will even work properly. If someone could test it that would be very cool. And maybe you'll get the app you're looking for.

https://mega.co.nz/#!BkcBxAJa!2k4bJ5M-d0uItbCBvl7hFCK_X0kTo9amdJaIPwbbNx0

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Cool, just installed and converted to system app with TB. Working great!