5,603,981 Members 44,256 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

SMS apps and N5/Android

Tip us?

jackpollard
Old
(Last edited by jackpollard; 25th December 2013 at 12:46 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 72
Default SMS apps and N5/Android

I love my N5 and will never go back to the land of Apple, there I said that and feel better.

Now, with that said, I do have 1 bug that has been bothering me for awhile. The one app that I miss from my years with iPhones is the bitesms app. It was nothing fancy really, just; notified you when a message comes in, lights up the screen, shows the message and allows you to respond. I've been using ledblinker (don't have THAT iPhone now do you) and 8sms + stock message. Now this works pretty good, but its not always stable.

So, what is the technical reason that this is such an issue? I tried most of the other sms apps in the store and nothing worked well for me. It surprises me that no one has created an app that mimics bitesms for android. Does android not allow this type of notification to be controlled programmatically?

I've tried handcent, chomp and go sms. I'm willing to try any suggestions, but I'm really curious as to why this is an issue.
Current
Nexus 5 - ATT; Rooted, Custom Recovery, Stock ROM

HTC One - ATT; Rooted, s-off
ROM: SinLess ROM GE

Kreateablaze
Old
Thanks Meter 169
Have you looked at textra? I use it on my note 2. Made by the people that made chomp and bite

Sent from my Nexus 5 using xda app-developers app

jackpollard
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreateablaze View Post
Have you looked at textra? I use it on my note 2. Made by the people that made chomp and bite

Sent from my Nexus 5 using xda app-developers app
Dang, I did try that, forgot to add it to my list. Thanks for the response.

I really would like an explanation as to why there is an issue with SMS apps? I searched and really just saw some info about the way the interfaces are exposed, but nothing really explaining the reasons. I did not want to create another try the top 5 SMS apps, I think I tried em and I'm pretty OK with 8sms but would like an app just a little more like bitesms, but kudos to the dev for 8sms for sure!!
Current
Nexus 5 - ATT; Rooted, Custom Recovery, Stock ROM

HTC One - ATT; Rooted, s-off
ROM: SinLess ROM GE

bknightt
Old
Thanks Meter 9
textra all the way, the dark mode does it all pretty much, I've had some issues with the MMS option to wake up data mobile everytime you want to send a pic, but it seems fixed now, I've tried handcent as well but this one is so much better.

jbdan
Old
Thanks Meter 473
Have you tried sliding messaging? I haven't and use hangouts, but I've read a good bit about it and it seems pretty cool

Sent from my Nexus 7 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
"The mind set on the Spirit is life and peace" <><