5,606,530 Members 33,152 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Sms a lot quicker on 2G/3G than on 4G, why?

Tip us?

tocarval
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Post [Q] Sms a lot quicker on 2G/3G than on 4G, why?

Hi! If I have my Nexus 5 in 4G, everything works great and fast, except the sms that take about 1 minute to being sent when they are a little big (4 or 5 parts). But on 3G, the big sms are sent right away, only take a few seconds like usual. I know thats not a network problem because I had the note 3 before and everything worked fine on 4G, the sms were sent very fast. Can this be a software problem on the Nexus 5?

shotta35
Old
Thanks Meter 450
Not disputing your findings but just know that LTE is a DATA only application now. So even if you have "LTE" displayed up top, you are still using the WCDMA (AKA 3G) air interface to send SMS.

Why it would send faster if LTE data is disabled i have no idea. The SMSC stays the same on either one so it shouldn't matter.

tocarval
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
That's my question, why its a lot faster in 3G, I don't understand this because makes no sense. I want to enable 4G but annoys me that takes so much time to send a sms. But can this be a software problem? Or hardware? I don't know if I should return my device or not.

dabbill
Old
Thanks Meter 21
I believe it has to switch from LTE to 3G/H/H+ to send the sms. It only has 1 radio chip with 1 antenna. So you can only use 1 radio at a time. I have noticed when watching my phone while sending SMS, that LTE switches to 3G/H/H+, then the SMS sends, then LTE comes back.

GldRush98
Old
Thanks Meter 199
Because SMS isn't sent using 4G. If you're on 4G, it switches to 3G in the background to send the SMS.
Same for a voicecall. Your phone will switch to 3G. LTE is data only.
---Phone---
Nexus 5 32gb
Android 4.4.2 KOT49H, Baseband 1.0.25.0.23, Unlocked, rooted, TWRP Recovery 2.6.3.4
---Tablets---
Samsung Note 10.1 2014 Edition 32gb
Android 4.3, stock & rooted
Nexus 7 16gb
Android 4.4.2 KOT49H, Unlocked, rooted, TWRP Recovery 2.6.3.1
---Past---
Galaxy Nexus (AT&T)
Android 4.3 JWR66Y, Baseband I9250XXLJ1, Unlocked, rooted, Clockwork Touch 6.0.4.3
Google Nexus One | AT&T Fuze (Touch Pro) | AT&T 8525 (Hermes) | AT&T 8125 (Wizard)

tocarval
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
So can be the phone that takes some time to change for 3G and it makes the sms to take more time to being sent? I understand what you guys are saying but I don't understand whats the problem in my phone and how can I solve this.

Zepius
Old
Thanks Meter 1033
Quote:
Originally Posted by tocarval View Post
So can be the phone that takes some time to change for 3G and it makes the sms to take more time to being sent? I understand what you guys are saying but I don't understand whats the problem in my phone and how can I solve this.
your solution: turn off lte.

thats the only way to solve the issue you are describing.
Go back to stock on your nexus 5 using this guide: here

Tired of paying too much money for your phone plan? go prepaid!

Save money on refills for your prepaid plans: Use Callingmart

-Zep

tocarval
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
But can this be a hardware problem? Should I return my phone? I want to be able to enable LTE and do everything fast, like I have done with other phones and everybody does, this isn't suppose to happen, right? I have a 4G phone and its like a 3G one, I think you understand my frustration.