5,605,120 Members 36,686 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] SMS (from websites) issue on Sprint

Tip us?

jj14
Old
(Last edited by jj14; 2nd December 2013 at 05:45 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 120
Default [Q] SMS (from websites) issue on Sprint

Hi,
I've not been able to receive authentication codes (via SMS) from sites like skype/facebook etc on my Nexus 5 for some reason. They have my "real" Sprint number (not the google voice number), and I don't have google voice integration (I only use google voice for voicemail).

I've sent an inquiry to Sprint, but thought I'd check here to see if anyone else has noticed this issue, and hopefully, get a workaround

Thanks!

hshshawn
Old
Thanks Meter 45
Call Sprint customer service and tell them you want to enable sms "short codes" I believe is what its called by default Sprint has these disabled I had the same isue a few years ago. A quick phone call they will enable it on your account and should be good to go from there
The Following User Says Thank You to hshshawn For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Hnk1
Old
(Last edited by Hnk1; 2nd December 2013 at 06:31 PM.)
Thanks Meter 626
Quote:
Originally Posted by jj14 View Post
Hi,
I've not been able to receive authentication codes (via SMS) from sites like skype/facebook etc on my Nexus 5 for some reason. They have my "real" Sprint number (not the google voice number), and I don't have google voice integration (I only use google voice for voicemail).

I've sent an inquiry to Sprint, but thought I'd check here to see if anyone else has noticed this issue, and hopefully, get a workaround

Thanks!
I am not sure about US but however, when I do seem to have such issues, I take my SIM out from my phone and then insert the sim in a basic phone like Nokia 1112 or any other basic set (SIMFREE). Then I just ask for Code on whatsapp/skype/viber etc using WIFI.

Either you get the code on your basic phone or you ask for a call to listen the code to authenticate it

I hope this helps and works for you too
HIT THANKS IF I HELPED

DO YOU WANT A TUTORIAL/GUIDE THAT HAS BEEN NOT WRITTEN OR COULD BE EXPLAINED IN DETAILS PM ME AND I WILL BE HAPPY TO SHARE MY KNOWLEDGE

BUYING A NEW DEVICE. READ THIS GUIDE FIRST

CONTACT ME ON BBM

BBM PIN : 74620ff5
The Following User Says Thank You to Hnk1 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

jj14
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by hshshawn View Post
Call Sprint customer service and tell them you want to enable sms "short codes" I believe is what its called by default Sprint has these disabled I had the same isue a few years ago. A quick phone call they will enable it on your account and should be good to go from there
Thanks @hshshawn - glad it is not a device specific issue (though it doesn't explain why my previous phone - S4 - was able to receive these). I'll ask Sprint to verify this. Maybe they disabled it when I switched over to the Nexus

jj14
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hnk1 View Post
I am not sure about US but however, when I do seem to have such issues, I take my SIM out from my phone and then insert the sim in a basic phone like Nokia 1112 or any other basic set (SIMFREE). Then I just ask for Code on whatsapp/skype/viber etc.

Either you get the code on your phone which you insert in your simless Nexus 5 in order to authenticate or you ask for a call.

I hope this helps and works for you too
Thanks. In this case, I ended up requesting the code by Email, so that worked. But I'll try to call my carrier to confirm that they haven't blocked short codes.
I appreciate your response

Hnk1
Old
Thanks Meter 626
Quote:
Hi,

Thanks!
Quote:
Thanks. In this case, I ended up requesting the code by Email, so that worked. But I'll try to call my carrier to confirm that they haven't blocked short codes.
I appreciate your response
I am glad to help!
HIT THANKS IF I HELPED

DO YOU WANT A TUTORIAL/GUIDE THAT HAS BEEN NOT WRITTEN OR COULD BE EXPLAINED IN DETAILS PM ME AND I WILL BE HAPPY TO SHARE MY KNOWLEDGE

BUYING A NEW DEVICE. READ THIS GUIDE FIRST

CONTACT ME ON BBM

BBM PIN : 74620ff5
The Following User Says Thank You to Hnk1 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]