Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,741,682 Members 42,182 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Soft-bricked Nexus 5

Tip us?

Sharmster
Old
(Last edited by Sharmster; 28th April 2014 at 06:08 AM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default Soft-bricked Nexus 5

Hey guys!

INFO:
Phone: Nexus 5
Recovery thing: TWRP
Current ROM: NONE (corrupted)
USB Driver: Google USB Driver (works 100% fine)

I was trying to install a custom ROM, but failed horribly. I formatted the Nexus 5 in TWRP. Now I have no ROM installed, and cannot install any ROM because the one on the phone was deleted. Luckily I backed up everything useful on my PC before.
I tried using ADB to fix it. In CMD, my computer recognizes my Nexus 5, and shows it in CMD but I can't do anything. When I type in "adb devices" it says "109231blahblah unauthorized". "adb shell" also says I need to accept the "authorization dialog". "adb push" also says I am unauthorized.

I think I am "unauthorized" from doing anything because I didn't enable USB debugging (stupid I know) and now I can't even change it since I have no ROM installed.

Any way to enable USB debugging in TWRP?

justmpm
Old
Forum Moderator
Thanks Meter 2362
I think the first thing to try is to restore whatever back up you have made with TWRP. Then you can redownload the ROM and try to flash it again.

If you don't have a back up on your device, I would download a ROM that you are sure has worked on your device before (or one that can be checked with MD5 or sha hash tags) and then use adb sideload to install the ROM. You can find the TWRP documentation for adb sideload here: http://teamw.in/ADBSideload

vin4yak
Old
(Last edited by vin4yak; 28th April 2014 at 09:42 AM.)
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1944

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by justmpm View Post
I think the first thing to try is to restore whatever back up you have made with TWRP. Then you can redownload the ROM and try to flash it again.

If you don't have a back up on your device, I would download a ROM that you are sure has worked on your device before (or one that can be checked with MD5 or sha hash tags) and then use adb sideload to install the ROM. You can find the TWRP documentation for adb sideload here: http://teamw.in/ADBSideload
Since he's getting the unauthorized messages, I don't think sideloading would work.. It's really weird though, sideloading should work in a custom recovery without enabling debugging in phone settings...

@Sharmster

If you can't use adb then here are your choices:

1. Use OTG Cable and a flash drive to install rom/gapps from the flash drive itself.

2. If you don't have an OTG cable then you are left with flashing the factory images(which needs fastboot) and starting all over again! Follow this guide: http://forum.xda-developers.com/goog...image-t2513701