Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,742,966 Members 41,984 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Soft Bricked - No storage - Wont flash stock recovery

Tip us?

RootedDesire
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Unhappy [Q] Soft Bricked - No storage - Wont flash stock recovery

I was texting on my phone when it crashed. I was running SlimKat official release with franco kernel 25 for two weeks. Phone had been running great! Now it bootloops on the google logo and doesn't recognize the 32gb of memory. Wont mount any of the partitions in recovery. When in recovery (TWRP) and I opt to reboot to bootloader or reboot is says NO OS. Now as well all I can do with fastboot is relock the phone. I wanted to reflash the recovery to stock as Google will exchange the phone. When I try and flash the stock recovery in the terminal command window everything looks like its flashing good however when I boot into recovery it still boots TWRP.
Help please.

Zepius
Old
Thanks Meter 1072
what do you mean all you can do is relock the phone in fastboot? that doesnt make sense.

what commands are you trying to do when you flash the stock recovery?
Go back to stock on your nexus 5 using this guide: here

Tired of paying too much money for your phone plan? go prepaid!

Save money on refills for your prepaid plans: Use Callingmart

-Zep

El Daddy
Old
Forum Moderator
Thanks Meter 3729
Flash the entire factory image. If you get errors your eMMC is probably toast and you should warranty it.

Sent from my Nexus 5

Simonna
Old
Thanks Meter 190
did you use toolkit for rooting?
Galaxy S3(sold)

Nexus 5
Liquidsmooth rom with Viper4Android sound mod and other goods.

GUGUITOMTG4
Old
Thanks Meter 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simonna View Post
did you use toolkit for rooting?
You ask because of his troubleshooting expertise or because you think that toolkits and CF.. are killing emmc?
I have seen this problem from people using the manual method and the toolkits as well.
I strongly think that the question to ask is whether they have a 16GB or 32GB phone.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -{()}- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Simonna
Old
Thanks Meter 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by GUGUITOMTG4 View Post
You ask because of his troubleshooting expertise or because you think that toolkits and CF.. are killing emmc?
I have seen this problem from people using the manual method and the toolkits as well.
I strongly think that the question to ask is whether they have a 16GB or 32GB phone.
I think that toolkits are killing emmc because I saw more users who used toolkits for rooting, and then their phones just dead.But maybe it's just a coincidence..
Galaxy S3(sold)

Nexus 5
Liquidsmooth rom with Viper4Android sound mod and other goods.

bitdomo
Old
Thanks Meter 619
Toolkits does not kill emmc. This is just coincidence.

emmc died on the phone

Tapatalk-kal küldve az én Nexus 5-el

jd1639
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 3074
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simonna View Post
I think that toolkits are killing emmc because I saw more users who used toolkits for rooting, and then their phones just dead.But maybe it's just a coincidence..
I don't think it's tool kits either. Keep in mind that more people use tool kits than don't. So even though you see more of what appears to be emmc failure with tool kit users there are more of them. I've seen it with people who have not used tool kits a well as those that have.

Sent from my Nexus 5

theesotericone
Old
Thanks Meter 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd1639 View Post
I don't think it's tool kits either. Keep in mind that more people use tool kits than don't. So even though you see more of what appears to be emmc failure with tool kit users there are more of them. I've seen it with people who have not used tool kits a well as those that have.

Sent from my Nexus 5
It's not toolkits. It's the luck of the draw. How many N5's sold compared to how many that have had fried nand is what needs to be looked at. That figure is going to be very hard to come by. It could be a normal percentage of failure or it could be high or low. Did Google cheap out on the memory to make the phone more affordable? Or did they put quality memory in and cut some other corners as well as cut their profit margin? All questions that none of us on XDA will, most likely, ever know. The one thing you can be certain of though, toolkits aren't the cause of these failures.

-DarkKnight-
Old
Thanks Meter 1220
I also had this problem, I couldn't do anyting. I left it sitting there for the night.

The next morning, it booted up like nothing happened

Device: Nexus 5
Rom: CM11

Device: Galaxy SII T989
Rom: Broke

Device: Desire Z
ROM: Sold

Device: Acer Iconia A100
ROM: Bricked

Device: LG Optimus T, Nexus One