ToqAN Fixes Android 5.0 Notification Bug on Qualcomm Toq

The Qualcomm Toq is probably one of the lesser known smartwatches on the market … more

How to Root and Unlock the Google Nexus 6 on a Mac – XDA TV

In the past, XDA Developer TV Producer droidmodd3rx has shown you how to … more

Set Up Your MediaTek Device with Comprehensive Beginner’s Guide

As can be seen with the use of MediaTek chips in Android One devices … more

Sony Updates AOSP Sources to Android 5.0.1

Just a few days ago, Sony did an utterly fantastic job by pushing out numerous device trees for … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[Solved] Android to Android File Transfers via WiFi

OP Phylum

6th February 2014, 03:50 AM   |  #1  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 4

95 posts
Donate to Me
I apologize if this isn't the appropriate place for this question. Its not necessarily a Nexus 5 spetcific question as it also involves an Asus TF300T.

I'm currently in a hotel with not only spotty WiFi coverage but also really awful throughput.
I have about 8GB of data I want to transfer to my Asus TF300T running 4.2.1.
I started with airdroid then WiFi File Transfer but it seems the WiFi network blocks access between devices; well at least on ports 1234, 4567 and 8888.
I then tried WiFi Direct but it looks like they (Asus) removed that feature in the last upgrade. Boo.
Finally the TF300T has a keyboard dock with a USB port but when I plug in the N5 (either in MTP or PTP) the TF300T doesn't 'see' the storage.

Uploading to Dropbox from the N5 then downloading to the TF300T would take several days at this rate. If I fellback on LTE, I would eat through the rest of my data plan and the month is young!

There are other applications out there but they're sketchy or questionable at best, and I don't want to load those types of applications on my rooted devices, hence why I'm reaching out to the community for advice / suggestions.

Thanks all
Last edited by Phylum; 6th February 2014 at 05:15 AM. Reason: Solved
6th February 2014, 03:52 AM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 328

1,283 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phylum

I apologize if this isn't the appropriate place for this question. Its not necessarily a Nexus 5 spetcific question as it also involves an Asus TF300T.

I'm currently in a hotel with not only spotty WiFi coverage but also really awful throughput.
I have about 8GB of data I want to transfer to my Asus TF300T running 4.2.1.
I started with airdroid then WiFi File Transfer but it seems the WiFi network blocks access between devices; well at least on ports 1234, 4567 and 8888.
I then tried WiFi Direct but it looks like they (Asus) removed that feature in the last upgrade. Boo.
Finally the TF300T has a keyboard dock with a USB port but when I plug in the N5 (either in MTP or PTP) the TF300T doesn't 'see' the storage.

Uploading to Dropbox from the N5 then downloading to the TF300T would take several days at this rate. If I fellback on LTE, I would eat through the rest of my data plan and the month is young!

There are other applications out there but they're sketchy or questionable at best, and I don't want to load those types of applications on my rooted devices, hence why I'm reaching out to the community for advice / suggestions.

Thanks all

Install this and run on host device: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...es.android.kws

with target device open the http://IP.IP.IP.IP and proceed to download the file it should be really fast since its localhost
6th February 2014, 04:04 AM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 7

58 posts
Fast file transfer

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
6th February 2014, 04:14 AM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 3

18 posts
To avoid the connection problems, create a hotspot on your nexus 5 and connect the tablet to it (when i do this i leave mobile data off just in case, so the tablet and phone will simply be in a LAN together), then use whatever program youd like to transfer through LAN. For example ES file manager has a built in LAN transfer function and ive gotten speeds up to 2mb per second with the nexus as the host sending the file.
6th February 2014, 04:45 AM   |  #5  
OP Member

95 posts
Donate to Me
Quote:
Originally Posted by markdapimp

Install this and run on host device: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...es.android.kws

with target device open the http://IP.IP.IP.IP and proceed to download the file it should be really fast since its localhost

WiFi File Transfer seems to do the exact same thing.
kWS seems to use port 8080 by default and that doesn't work. I've tried other ports with no luck.

We're on the same subnet but neither device can ping the other so I guess they've done a good job at setting it up so that machies cannot communicate with each other?
6th February 2014, 04:48 AM   |  #6  
OP Member

95 posts
Donate to Me
Quote:
Originally Posted by bower95

To avoid the connection problems, create a hotspot on your nexus 5 and connect the tablet to it (when i do this i leave mobile data off just in case, so the tablet and phone will simply be in a LAN together), then use whatever program youd like to transfer through LAN. For example ES file manager has a built in LAN transfer function and ive gotten speeds up to 2mb per second with the nexus as the host sending the file.

Yeah, that sounds like a winner right there. I'll try and update with my findings.
Thanks!
6th February 2014, 04:51 AM   |  #7  
Thanks Meter: 328

1,283 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phylum

WiFi File Transfer seems to do the exact same thing.
kWS seems to use port 8080 by default and that doesn't work. I've tried other ports with no luck.

We're on the same subnet but neither device can ping the other so I guess they've done a good job at setting it up so that machies cannot communicate with each other?

Must be a firewall correct try another port such as UDP port 53 (DNS) or TCP port 22 or 21 (SSH) or try 80 (HTTP) usually HTTP wont be blocked
6th February 2014, 05:14 AM   |  #8  
OP Member

95 posts
Donate to Me
Thumbs up Mobile Hotspot Winner
Setting up a mobile hotspot did the trick! I was able to use all the apps but file transfers never finished. (most of the files are a few hundred megs)
I'll just wait until I get to a better location or try again when I have a bit more time.

I'll also try using common ports like 53 and 22, 23 etc to see if that helps while on this network.

Thanks all for your advice on this.
6th February 2014, 07:00 PM   |  #9  
Flag Lodi
Thanks Meter: 114

521 posts
More
This ( https://play.google.com/store/search?q=superbeam&c=apps ) is the best IMHO.

Works with phone <-> phone and phone <-> PC without problems, the UI is great and easy to use

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread