Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,728,048 Members 46,126 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] why there is no special features like as in lg g2 or any other high end phones

Tip us?

Nikhil.1105
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] why there is no special features like as in lg g2 or any other high end phones

hello guys...
Just wanted to know why nexus 5 doesn't have special features such as camera effects, special effects for home screen or so on..

vin4yak
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1798

DONATE TO ME
That's because Nexus line of devices come with pure vanilla android!

If you want those effects, there are tons of apps available on the playstore

ArtieQ
Old
Thanks Meter 50
You do realise what Vanilla means right?
Google Nexus 5 32GB (LG-D821)

ROM: Cataclysm 4.4.2 (KOT49H) | Bootloader: HHZ11d | Recovery: TWRP 2.6.3.4 | Baseband: M8974A-1.0.25.0.23 | Kernel: Franco (R37)

OuncE718
Old
Thanks Meter 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhil.1105 View Post
hello guys...
Just wanted to know why nexus 5 doesn't have special features such as camera effects, special effects for home screen or so on..
As stated its because we have pure "vanilla" android. It's a bit boring to some but its exciting for those that want speed and love to hack/modify.

Think of it this way. The Nexus 5 is like a Lamborghini (uncomfortable to drive, but very fast), phones like the G2 are like a Mercedes still pretty fast (not as fast as the Lambo) but its more luxurious and packed with features.

The main feature exclusive to the Nexus 5 is timely updates straight from Google.

sent from my neXus 5

mortenmhp
Old
(Last edited by mortenmhp; 8th March 2014 at 03:39 PM.)
Thanks Meter 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtieQ View Post
You do realise what Vanilla means right?
Yeah http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vanilla_software

Anyway the reason is of course that the software is built from aosp with Google addons, while this is also the case for any other device, except those have their respective customisations on top of aosp and Google addons.

So nexus 5 has plenty of special features, they are just not exclusive, as Google is about software and makes money from all android devices, and allows all OEMS to use these features, while the OEMS want to keep their features exclusive in order to attract customers to their devices.

So every time Google adds new features, its also rolled out to all other android devices.

PhilipTD
Old
Thanks Meter 361
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhil.1105 View Post
hello guys...
Welcome to the forum!

The features you mentioned are really easy to add if you are rooted. BEFORE you root, however, I strongly suggest that you read everything you can about the phone to become familiar with its native functionality (e.g., the sticky threads at the top of this forum) as well as the N5 Apps and Themes forum to get an idea of how you can mod (Browsing the Play Store and trying out apps is also a lot of fun). ONLY after you have read thoroughly everything mentioned above, you can decide if you'd like to root (which I recommend, because many great apps and mods require root) and, perhaps, try flashing some custom roms and kernels.

ONEPLUS ONE STOCK (ROOTING NOW)
NEXUS 5 D820 STOCK KK444 FK XPOSED TWRP

Anderson2
Old
Thanks Meter 73
I'm familiar with Google play and have installed many apps from there, but I've not owned another Android phone. So I don't know what capabilities other high end phones have that are missing on the N5.

What are some of the better customizations some high end phones have that I could add to the N5 using which apps? I am rooted but would prefer to remain with stock rom 4.4.2 rather than flash a new rom.

Thanks.

rootSU
Old
Thanks Meter 9720
Actually, we're still slightly modified from vanilla aosp. We have Google dialer lookup and photosphere.

Nexus 5 is developers phone and built on a budget

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Want to root/unroot? All important guides and info threads are contained within the "Sticky Roll-up" thread in General. Click the link below to get there!

Philz Touch Recovery with passkey secure lock

I do NOT reply to support queries over PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to rootSU For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

thesebastian
Old
Thanks Meter 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by rootSU View Post
Actually, we're still slightly modified from vanilla aosp. We have Google dialer lookup and photosphere.

Nexus 5 is developers phone and built on a budget

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Yeah that's right. AOSP also has Browser by default (not Chrome) and many other things...

We (Nexus + GPE Devices) have:
AOSP + Google Apps - Some AOSP Apps (that were replaced).

Sent from my Nexus 5
Devices:
Nexus 5 (Stock + Franco Kernel) - Galaxy Nexus (CM11 + A.S.K.P. Kernel) - Nexus 7 2012 (Stock); Galaxy S GT-i9000 (CM11 - zRAM OFF); Galaxy Y Pro B5510L (Stock).
Previous:
Nexus 4 16GB; Galaxy S3 GT-i9300.

bjoostema
Old
(Last edited by bjoostema; 8th March 2014 at 07:43 PM.) Reason: spelling error
Thanks Meter 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anderson2 View Post
I'm familiar with Google play and have installed many apps from there, but I've not owned another Android phone. So I don't know what capabilities other high end phones have that are missing on the N5.

What are some of the better customizations some high end phones have that I could add to the N5 using which apps? I am rooted but would prefer to remain with stock rom 4.4.2 rather than flash a new rom.

Thanks.

Since you are rooted, I would suggest perhaps looking into xposed framework and the gravity box module, since it's essentially made for phones this close to stock android. You can enable a ton of useful features from there, all on the stock ROM. There are also kernels you can flash to attain certain features, such as the knock on screen to activate thingy that comes with the LG G2. There aren't really a tone of features that other phones have that the N5 doesn't, The base functions are essentially the same, they just present a ton of different ways to go about it. With gravity box, for example, you can make it so when you tap on the status bar the phone goes to sleep. You can really do anything you want as far as customization, but all smartphones essentially do the same thing ie:internet, phone calls, camera, bt, music etc. Since you went ahead and rooted, research custom recoveries and start going to town exploring options. There are a ton for a phone such as this, it's just a matter of sifting through all the option until you find exactly what you want. You can google the highlights that other OEMs provide and find a close-as-possible match for that feature, whether it be a module, rom or kernel. There are A TON of options, so don't get overwhelmed and have fun brother! Modding a Nexus is, in my opinion, more about the journey of exploring the possibilities rather than searching for the perfect set up. Welcome to the best phone out right now and if there is anything I can help you with, please feel free to PM me.

The Following User Says Thank You to bjoostema For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]