5,600,725 Members 38,531 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] [SPRINT] Network Mode - Global vs. LTE??

Tip us?

Mindspin_311
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 26
Default [Q] [SPRINT] Network Mode - Global vs. LTE??

As the title says, I am on Sprint and looking at the Network Mode options. LTE seems like the obvious choice since Im stuck here in the US. But, tell me if I am wrong or what the advantages/disadvantages are of both settings.

LG G Pad 8.3 - GPE

CRIME INC.
Old
Thanks Meter 1674
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindspin_311 View Post
As the title says, I am on Sprint and looking at the Network Mode options. LTE seems like the obvious choice since Im stuck here in the US. But, tell me if I am wrong or what the advantages/disadvantages are of both settings.
Best to leave it on global, it will usually revert anyway ,if you change it to lte

sent from my HAMMERHEAD neXus

Mindspin_311
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 26
Also, is it known that the N5 cannot handle a call and still keep LTE data going at the same time?

LG G Pad 8.3 - GPE

pboggini
Old
Thanks Meter 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindspin_311 View Post
Also, is it known that the N5 cannot handle a call and still keep LTE data going at the same time?
No carriers have voice on LTE. I know that on T-Mobile, my Nexus 4, Moto X and IPhone 5 all revert to HSPA+ when I get a call. They will go back to LTE at some point afterwards.

I'm wondering what the actual difference is between LTE and Global. So here is what I did. First, I set it to LTE Preferred and unlike what was said earlier in this thread and by others on the internet, it did not reset on boot, it stayed at LTE. I check the info menu and it said LTE/CDMA as the option. I then set it back to Global, and then rechecked the info menu, it is now LTE/GSM/CDMA. I'm betting that if I move him over to T-Mobile from Sprint that Global will stay the same but that LTE Preferred will likely then say LTE/GSM like my Nexus 4 does.

Just thought this might help folks. I would think that LTE Preferred is just fine for someone using Sprint in the US but that you'd want Global if you were traveling and getting a local SIM.

peterb