Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,738,225 Members 53,476 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Sprint Nexus 5 and Wifi-tethering

Tip us?

saj1jr
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 9
Default Sprint Nexus 5 and Wifi-tethering

I've searched around and wasn't able to find legitimate info on the subject - plus most of it was months old so I wasn't sure how to trust it.

Just trying to clear some things up.

If I want to get mobile hotspot for free, will rooting do the trick? Or does it still charge me because the Nexus comes unlocked? I've seen that it will instead take the data from your unlimited plan rather than charge you per/whatever for using hotspot without buying it.

Anyway, if someone can clear this up for me I'd appreciate it!

TL;DR, if I root, can I get hotspot for free or does it still charge?

simms22
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 20718
Quote:
Originally Posted by saj1jr View Post
I've searched around and wasn't able to find legitimate info on the subject - plus most of it was months old so I wasn't sure how to trust it.

Just trying to clear some things up.

If I want to get mobile hotspot for free, will rooting do the trick? Or does it still charge me because the Nexus comes unlocked? I've seen that it will instead take the data from your unlimited plan rather than charge you per/whatever for using hotspot without buying it.

Anyway, if someone can clear this up for me I'd appreciate it!

TL;DR, if I root, can I get hotspot for free or does it still charge?
rooting has nothing to do with your hotspots. all root does is give you permission to access system level files(and change them). sprint sees when you are on their network, as soon as your phone connects to it, for regular data use and as a hotspot. if you have an unlimited data plan with them, and they dont charge extra to use your phone as a hotspot, then cool. i know that tmobile doesnt charge for hotspots, unless you have unlimited high spped data. then they limit your hotspot usage to 2.5gb for free, then charge you if you want more usage.
Google+ Profile
Twitter Simms22
DerKernel For Trinity kernels and more!

saj1jr
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 9
Are you sure? I saw people in this thread talking about some work around - people saying that rooting and such would let you use the mobile hotspot for free and that it would take data from your unlimited data plan rather than charging you for using data on your hotspot. http://forum.xda-developers.com/goog...2509613/page10

I thought all paying for hotspot did was unlock it (on Sprint at least) and all data used would just come from your unlimited data.

NineInchNails
Old
Thanks Meter 5431

DONATE TO ME
Depends on the ROM. Stock you need to add tethering_dun_required with value of 0 to providers.settings SQL global database. Search and you'll find more info about this. But custom ROMs such as Liquid and Slim don't need it and tethering with Sprint works right away.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to NineInchNails For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Highway 55
Old
(Last edited by Highway 55; 9th May 2014 at 01:12 AM.)
Thanks Meter 226
I only have experience with Sprint. I have an unlimited plan and I would still need to pay another $10 for them to "activate" WiFi tethering. Luckily if you are rooted you can do it yourself. Just follow the directions, it works great. You do not have to transfer any files to/from your computer if you buy a sqlite editor from the play store...

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...php?p=47064902

Edit:
Quote:
Originally Posted by saj1jr View Post
Are you sure? I saw people in this thread talking about some work around - people saying that rooting and such would let you use the mobile hotspot for free and that it would take data from your unlimited data plan rather than charging you for using data on your hotspot. http://forum.xda-developers.com/goog...2509613/page10

I thought all paying for hotspot did was unlock it (on Sprint at least) and all data used would just come from your unlimited data.
You answered your own question.

The link I posted is the OP of that thread. Just buy the sqlite editor on the play store, it is worth it.

Sent from my A500 using Tapatalk