Official TWRP Recovery Lands on Micromax Canvas Magnus

With the recent release of Android One, Micromax and MediaTek released fully buildable … more

Update Overload: SuperSU Heavily Updated

There are apps and apps out there. Very few can reach the level of popularity required to stay at … more

Lollipop Leak Available for the Sprint Galaxy S5

Since the Android 5.0Lollipop’s official release not too long ago, we’ve seen … more

CPU Spy Gets an Android Lollipop Makeover

At some point in the distant past, you probably heard of CPU Spy for Android by XDARetired … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

stock kernel

OP hammerheadn5

9th June 2014, 11:42 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

1 posts
Hi im reletivaly new to kernels and roms so i thpught id try out franco kernel. I flashed that and i like it but i still want to get the stock back. I don't know how to do that ive tried for a while now to find out how to do that i asume it is simple becouse there is not much info here or ytube. I dont have the time to try everything right now beacouse i'm abroud. Please help!
9th June 2014, 11:51 PM   |  #2  
Flag Oxenhope, West Yorkshire, UK
Thanks Meter: 13,465

24,559 posts
More
Some lessons here:

1) don't Flash things when abroad
2) don't Flash things you don't know how to revert
3) always take a Nandroid backup before flashing something.

You can fastboot flash the stock boot.img from a computer. There may also be flashable zips around.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 10:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:45 PM ----------

In fact, if you download flashify from play, you can flash the stock boot.img without a computer

The Following User Says Thank You to rootSU For This Useful Post: [ View ]
9th June 2014, 11:53 PM   |  #3  
Flag Dubai
Thanks Meter: 286

1,128 posts
More
You can either dirty flash the stock Rom through recovery or search for a standalone stock kernel in these threads that you can also flash through recovery.

10th June 2014, 12:09 AM   |  #4  
Recognized Contributor
BROOKLYN!
Thanks Meter: 22,493

26,800 posts
just today i started testing 443 kernels for trinity kernel on the n4(i work for trinity kernel). anyways, i forgot to get a copy of the stock kernel, so i extracted the boot.img(kernel) out of the stock rom and used flashify to boot it
10th June 2014, 08:19 AM   |  #5  
Flag Calgary
Thanks Meter: 2

16 posts
More
Wink You need to fastboot flash stock system.img and boot.img
Franco modifies some system files as well as replacing the boot.img. Just flashing boot.img is not just enough to return to the stock kernel - Source

You need to fastboot flash both system.img and boot.img from the Google Stock Image

But before doing any of this, be sure to make an Nandroid Backup - Its good practice to make Nandroid backups before flashing anything or making any radical changes. Then you can revert back without having any panic attacks.
10th June 2014, 08:24 AM   |  #6  

24,559 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by kabini

Franco modifies some system files as well as replacing the boot.img. Just flashing boot.img is not just enough to return to the stock kernel - Source

You need to fastboot flash both system.img and boot.img from the Google Stock Image

But before doing any of this, be sure to make an Nandroid Backup - Its good practice to make Nandroid backups before flashing anything or making any radical changes. Then you can revert back without having any panic attacks.

Although the modifications won't affect the stock kernel whilst he is abroad, you're right - if he wants to use other kernels once he has returned home, he'll need to flash a rom first

16th June 2014, 09:07 AM   |  #7  
Thanks Meter: 2

62 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kabini

By fastbooting system.img and boot.img, if I have an unlocked bootloader, will that get locked and will I lose root? Will I lose my desktops and icons I have setup? (If so, is there any way to save those?)

Also, I have a TWRP backup; good enough?
16th June 2014, 09:10 AM   |  #8  

24,559 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by aagha

By fastbooting system.img and boot.img, if I have an unlocked bootloader, will that get locked and will I lose root? Will I lose my desktops and icons I have setup? (If so, is there any way to save those?)

Also, I have a TWRP backup; good enough?

No, yes, no.

16th June 2014, 10:17 AM   |  #9  
Thanks Meter: 1,878

6,462 posts
To flash stock from franco -

16th June 2014, 12:58 PM   |  #10  
Thanks Meter: 0

33 posts
Soon as you open up the bootloader you should do a backup and an efs backup which should be stored off phone. I love the new TWR app which allows for backup to usb thumb drives. Plus you can back up with out going into recovery!

# 47386

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread