Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,805,594 Members 39,010 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

stock kernel

Tip us?

hammerheadn5
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default stock kernel

Hi im reletivaly new to kernels and roms so i thpught id try out franco kernel. I flashed that and i like it but i still want to get the stock back. I don't know how to do that ive tried for a while now to find out how to do that i asume it is simple becouse there is not much info here or ytube. I dont have the time to try everything right now beacouse i'm abroud. Please help!

rootSU
Old
Thanks Meter 11,328
Some lessons here:

1) don't Flash things when abroad
2) don't Flash things you don't know how to revert
3) always take a Nandroid backup before flashing something.

You can fastboot flash the stock boot.img from a computer. There may also be flashable zips around.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 10:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:45 PM ----------

In fact, if you download flashify from play, you can flash the stock boot.img without a computer

Want to root/unroot? All important guides and info threads are contained within the "Sticky Roll-up" thread in General. Click the link below to get there!

**Sticky Roll-up: All Guides snd Info Threads linked here**

Philz Touch Recovery with passkey secure lock

I do NOT reply to support queries over PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to rootSU For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

bushako
Old
Thanks Meter 278
You can either dirty flash the stock Rom through recovery or search for a standalone stock kernel in these threads that you can also flash through recovery.

Nexus 5 - 32GB - D820 - latest 4.4.4 Mahdi ROM with Franco's Kernel

Sony Xperia Z Ultra - C6833 - White - Latest stock rom and kernel - rooted with Dual Recovery.

simms22
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 21,419
just today i started testing 443 kernels for trinity kernel on the n4(i work for trinity kernel). anyways, i forgot to get a copy of the stock kernel, so i extracted the boot.img(kernel) out of the stock rom and used flashify to boot it
Google+ Profile
Twitter Simms22
DerKernel For Trinity kernels and more!

kabini
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Wink You need to fastboot flash stock system.img and boot.img

Franco modifies some system files as well as replacing the boot.img. Just flashing boot.img is not just enough to return to the stock kernel - Source

You need to fastboot flash both system.img and boot.img from the Google Stock Image

But before doing any of this, be sure to make an Nandroid Backup - Its good practice to make Nandroid backups before flashing anything or making any radical changes. Then you can revert back without having any panic attacks.

rootSU
Old
Thanks Meter 11,328
Quote:
Originally Posted by kabini View Post
Franco modifies some system files as well as replacing the boot.img. Just flashing boot.img is not just enough to return to the stock kernel - Source

You need to fastboot flash both system.img and boot.img from the Google Stock Image

But before doing any of this, be sure to make an Nandroid Backup - Its good practice to make Nandroid backups before flashing anything or making any radical changes. Then you can revert back without having any panic attacks.
Although the modifications won't affect the stock kernel whilst he is abroad, you're right - if he wants to use other kernels once he has returned home, he'll need to flash a rom first

Want to root/unroot? All important guides and info threads are contained within the "Sticky Roll-up" thread in General. Click the link below to get there!

aagha
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by kabini View Post

By fastbooting system.img and boot.img, if I have an unlocked bootloader, will that get locked and will I lose root? Will I lose my desktops and icons I have setup? (If so, is there any way to save those?)

Also, I have a TWRP backup; good enough?

rootSU
Old
Thanks Meter 11,328
Quote:
Originally Posted by aagha View Post
By fastbooting system.img and boot.img, if I have an unlocked bootloader, will that get locked and will I lose root? Will I lose my desktops and icons I have setup? (If so, is there any way to save those?)

Also, I have a TWRP backup; good enough?
No, yes, no.

Ben36
Old
Thanks Meter 1,631
To flash stock from franco -

Staggerlee66
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Soon as you open up the bootloader you should do a backup and an efs backup which should be stored off phone. I love the new TWR app which allows for backup to usb thumb drives. Plus you can back up with out going into recovery!

# 47386