Storage space is running out - some system functions may not work

10th February 2014, 10:16 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Flag Phoenix
Thanks Meter: 536

1,319 posts
I have the 32GB N5, and currently have about 500MB free. That seems like it should be enough to me, but Android obviously thinks differently. I called Google Nexus support and talked to someone who had zero knowledge/training, so no help there, they just told me to delete stuff until the message disappeared(which I find to be an insulting "solution").

My question is, is this message a bug? And/or what is the minimum amount of space that needs to be left unused for all of the "system functions" to work correctly.

My appreciation to anyone who can answer this question.
10th February 2014, 10:23 PM   |  #2  
Recognized Contributor
BROOKLYN!
Thanks Meter: 21,591

25,971 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by joenathane

I have the 32GB N5, and currently have about 500MB free. That seems like it should be enough to me, but Android obviously thinks differently. I called Google Nexus support and talked to someone who had zero knowledge/training, so no help there, they just told me to delete stuff until the message disappeared(which I find to be an insulting "solution"). My question is, is this message a bug? And/or what is the minimum amount of space that needs to be left unused for all of the "system functions" to work correctly.

no, not a bug. thats how it is on every android device. on the first generation devices, it was 100mb, on later devices its 400-500mb. you phone needs about 300-500mb to really function, this space is used by caches. i go past this point fairly often with my device(s), and usually delete/move photos to get my storage memory back.
The Following User Says Thank You to simms22 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
10th February 2014, 10:26 PM   |  #3  
Flag London
Thanks Meter: 21

115 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:

I have the 32GB N5, and currently have about 500MB free. That seems like it should be enough to me, but Android obviously thinks differently. I called Google Nexus support and talked to someone who had zero knowledge/training, so no help there, they just told me to delete stuff until the message disappeared(which I find to be an insulting "solution").

My question is, is this message a bug? And/or what is the minimum amount of space that needs to be left unused for all of the "system functions" to work correctly.

I know this is for the Nexus 7 but the same logic applies running out of storage space - 500MB Warningl

Hope this helps you
The Following User Says Thank You to L.iam For This Useful Post: [ View ]
10th February 2014, 10:32 PM   |  #4  
OP Senior Member
Flag Phoenix
Thanks Meter: 536

1,319 posts
Now I'm really wishing the N5 had an SD card slot. Thanks for the info, you would think Google would be more forth coming with that info.
11th February 2014, 12:55 AM   |  #5  
Flag Bangalore, Karnataka
Thanks Meter: 12

88 posts
More
Quote:

Now I'm really wishing the N5 had an SD card slot. Thanks for the info, you would think Google would be more forth coming with that info.

Same feeling here bro, but the next best thing is a USB OTG with an SD card
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread