Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,812,209 Members 36,755 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Nexus 5 and Telus Routers

Tip us?

kattara
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 25
Question [Q] Nexus 5 and Telus Routers

Hey all,

I'm not sure if anybody else is having this problem, but for the last month I've been having trouble connecting to Telus routers properly. It connects to the wifi signal, but will not load websites about 70-80% of the time and many apps (YouTube, NHL, XDA, Playstation, Play Store, etc). When I switch to my data connection, the sites/app load normally. I don't seem to have this problem when connected to other places (ie. work, starbucks, etc). It's getting really annoying since I had to keep switching to my data to load a site, etc. Not to mention having to pay more because I've gone over my data serving.

At first, I thought it was my phone as it was also experiencing massive battery drain and getting really warm, so I got it RMA'd. But as soon as my new one came from Google, the exact thing happened. I couldn't even download apps/set it up while connected to my Telus router. I've already contacted Telus, and they've updated the firmware to my router, but I'm still having the same issue (altho not as bad, I think? It's only been a day).

Anybody else encountering this?

bblzd
Old
Thanks Meter 294
Quote:
Originally Posted by kattara View Post
Hey all,

I'm not sure if anybody else is having this problem, but for the last month I've been having trouble connecting to Telus routers properly. It connects to the wifi signal, but will not load websites about 70-80% of the time and many apps (YouTube, NHL, XDA, Playstation, Play Store, etc). When I switch to my data connection, the sites/app load normally. I don't seem to have this problem when connected to other places (ie. work, starbucks, etc). It's getting really annoying since I had to keep switching to my data to load a site, etc. Not to mention having to pay more because I've gone over my data serving.

At first, I thought it was my phone as it was also experiencing massive battery drain and getting really warm, so I got it RMA'd. But as soon as my new one came from Google, the exact thing happened. I couldn't even download apps/set it up while connected to my Telus router. I've already contacted Telus, and they've updated the firmware to my router, but I'm still having the same issue (altho not as bad, I think? It's only been a day).

Anybody else encountering this?
Do a search for the many WiFi problem threads. I think those solutions are your best bet, I don't think it's specific to Telus routers.
W32

kattara
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by bblzd View Post
Do a search for the many WiFi problem threads. I think those solutions are your best bet, I don't think it's specific to Telus routers.
Thanks for the reply, but like I said, I'm not experiencing this problem on other networks. The problem only occurs on Telus routers.

bblzd
Old
Thanks Meter 294
Quote:
Thanks for the reply, but like I said, I'm not experiencing this problem on other networks. The problem only occurs on Telus routers.
The general WiFi fixes still apply. Many people have a single router that they are having issues with, and it works fine on everything else they've tried.
W32

kattara
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 25
Quote:
The general WiFi fixes still apply. Many people have a single router that they are having issues with, and it works fine on everything else they've tried.
Is there a specific thread/solution you are referring to? I have tried several fixes, but all to no avail. I'm not having the issue where the phone will not connect to wifi - it connects fine, and doesn't go orange. I've tried changing channels on my router, channel width, msdu/mspu, compatibility mode, etc etc. The problem only started about a month ago, and only on Telus routers (as far as I have seen).

I'm sorry if I missed something.

bblzd
Old
Thanks Meter 294
Quote:
Is there a specific thread/solution you are referring to? I have tried several fixes, but all to no avail. I'm not having the issue where the phone will not connect to wifi - it connects fine, and doesn't go orange. I've tried changing channels on my router, channel width, msdu/mspu, compatibility mode, etc etc. The problem only started about a month ago, and only on Telus routers (as far as I have seen).

I'm sorry if I missed something.
Sounds like you've exhausted most of the options available on the router itself that would be recommended.

Try setting your phone to only use 2.4Ghz instead of Auto or 5Ghz, and as a latch ditch effort you can also try disabling Mobile Data (toggle it off manually or automated with Tasker/Llama) while using WiFi.
W32

kattara
Old
(Last edited by kattara; 7th May 2014 at 08:40 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 25
Quote:
Sounds like you've exhausted most of the options available on the router itself that would be recommended.

Try setting your phone to only use 2.4Ghz instead of Auto or 5Ghz, and as a latch ditch effort you can also try disabling Mobile Data (toggle it off manually or automated with Tasker/Llama) while using WiFi.
Yeah, I've already tried setting it only to 2.4GHz, but that doesn't make a difference either. I haven't tried disabling Mobile Data, tho. Will give that a shot, altho I honestly don't see that that will change anything? But I'll try it, regardless!

And more clarification, I am able to access things like Twitter, Tumblr, G+, so I am getting an internet connection. It just won't load most webpages on Chrome/Chrome Beta, YouTube, and other apps. Quite frustrating...!

Thanks!

bblzd
Old
Thanks Meter 294
Quote:
Yeah, I've already tried setting it only to 2.4GHz, but that doesn't make a difference either. I haven't tried disabling Mobile Data, tho. Will give that a shot, altho I honestly don't see that that will change anything? But I'll try it, regardless!

And more clarification, I am able to access things like Twitter, Tumblr, G+, so I am getting an internet connection. It just won't load most webpages on Chrome/Chrome Beta, YouTube, and other apps. Quite frustrating...!

Thanks!
For sure anyone would be frustrated in the same situation, Hopefully you can get it solved. The mobile data trick has worked for many people with WiFi issues but is more of a temporary fix, I find.

I'm reluctant to even mention this but if you get desperate enough, perhaps give this app a try as well.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...fiandmorefixer
W32

kattara
Old
(Last edited by kattara; 7th May 2014 at 11:19 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 25
Quote:
For sure anyone would be frustrated in the same situation, Hopefully you can get it solved. The mobile data trick has worked for many people with WiFi issues but is more of a temporary fix, I find.

I'm reluctant to even mention this but if you get desperate enough, perhaps give this app a try as well.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...fiandmorefixer
Yeah.... I'm not quite that desperate yet. I'll update this thread once I try the mobile data trick. Thanks again!

EDIT: Unfortunately, the mobile data trick doesn't seem to make a difference, in my case. :'(

KJ
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 3,602
Its definitely the router, or something on your network causing you trouble. Disconnect every other single thing from your network and try. If not....its the router. Demand a completely different one from them.

---------- Post added at 10:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:15 PM ----------

And if bad battery drain is still occurring, get gsam....and check Wakelocks. If its WiFi related, It will show that.
Sent from my new HTC One M8, N7, Moto X, GTab3 or S2.

Need help with poor battery life? Any device welcome, even tho its an N5 thread. Please specify if on a device other than N5. Lots of info in first 4 posts! >>>>
[Battery Life Help] Troubleshoot Battery Issues Here....and Tips