Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,786,281 Members 50,230 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Nexus 5 consistently having apps crash

Tip us?

adrianvfx
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Default Nexus 5 consistently having apps crash

Lately my Nexus 5 has been having some issues. I first started noticing this when I'd get artifacts popping up while on chrome. Then during reboot, play services would crash, and sometimes the launcher would refuse to start. Then other apps like Hangouts would refuse to let me view messages without a app crash. Even 3rd party apps have crashed on me.

I've done a full wipe and put stock 4.4.2, three different times now and within a day I get the same symptoms all over again.

This has been going on for over a week, I have absolutely no idea what to do now.

Any ideas? Is perhaps the storage bad? Any way to test it? Or what should I do.

Thanks

KJ
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 3,323
Flash clean stock and don't install a single app for those few days and see what happens.

If nothing, install just a few apps at a time per day. If it suddenly starts....you'll know its one of the few apps you just installed.

That's all I got. Lol
Sent from my new HTC One M8, N7, Moto X, GTab3 or S2.

Need help with poor battery life on the N5...or any device really? Lots of info in first 4 posts! >>>>
[Battery Life Help] Troubleshoot Battery Issues Here....and Tips

teh roxxorz
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2,086

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by adrianvfx View Post
Lately my Nexus 5 has been having some issues. I first started noticing this when I'd get artifacts popping up while on chrome. Then during reboot, play services would crash, and sometimes the launcher would refuse to start. Then other apps like Hangouts would refuse to let me view messages without a app crash. Even 3rd party apps have crashed on me.

I've done a full wipe and put stock 4.4.2, three different times now and within a day I get the same symptoms all over again.

This has been going on for over a week, I have absolutely no idea what to do now.

Any ideas? Is perhaps the storage bad? Any way to test it? Or what should I do.

Thanks
Are you flashing a custom kernel with it? Are you undervolting at all, running art? I specifically ask for undervolting, cause that will cause things to crash | reboot.
この こえ かれて も きえない メロヂー

The difference between the strong and weak willed is that the weak traverse with wounds covered up and hide when attacked, while the strong stride on with open hands and tears. Wounds bared open, and will continue to go on, even when broken at their core

Nexus 5
Teh Kernel kill count: 3
</3

If you wanna chat, message me.
Xbox Live: teh roxxorz [Live is up]
PSN [PS3 | PS4]: tehroxxorz666 [Where you'll likely find me]

My dropbox is a little hungry again, if you'd like a dropbox, register via my link, and we'll both get an extra 500mb storage. Thank you in advance you beautiful person you.

adrianvfx
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
No, no custom kernel. Everything I got was from googles factory image site. https://dl.google.com/dl/android/aos...y-02006b99.tgz
And I've never undervolted before. I could root and perhaps increase the clock speed. Also not running ART. I did a few months ago, but switched back.

teh roxxorz
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2,086

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by adrianvfx View Post
No, no custom kernel. Everything I got was from googles factory image site. https://dl.google.com/dl/android/aos...y-02006b99.tgz
And I've never undervolted before. I could root and perhaps increase the clock speed. Also not running ART. I did a few months ago, but switched back.
Well aside from rooting, best you can do is force stop all those apps, particularly the ones that are crashing specifically, then clear those caches from the menu. After you've done all your problem apps, reboot.
この こえ かれて も きえない メロヂー

The difference between the strong and weak willed is that the weak traverse with wounds covered up and hide when attacked, while the strong stride on with open hands and tears. Wounds bared open, and will continue to go on, even when broken at their core

Nexus 5
Teh Kernel kill count: 3
</3

If you wanna chat, message me.
Xbox Live: teh roxxorz [Live is up]
PSN [PS3 | PS4]: tehroxxorz666 [Where you'll likely find me]

My dropbox is a little hungry again, if you'd like a dropbox, register via my link, and we'll both get an extra 500mb storage. Thank you in advance you beautiful person you.

KJ
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 3,323
If he did a full wipe and installed a fresh stock image....caches aren't the issue. Its probably one app wreaking havoc. Lol
Sent from my new HTC One M8, N7, Moto X, GTab3 or S2.

Need help with poor battery life on the N5...or any device really? Lots of info in first 4 posts! >>>>
[Battery Life Help] Troubleshoot Battery Issues Here....and Tips