[Q] Sudden death

OP HawkiesZA

3rd September 2014, 08:02 PM   |  #1  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 4

45 posts
More
Hi all

My Nexus 5 has been giving me issues over the past few days. Yesterday it switched off by itself and then wouldn't turn on again for an hour even though the battery was charged (probably between 80% and 90% at that time). Today it switched off and rebooted a few times at work. Then this evening, when I decided to try factory resetting it, it died (before I'd even attempted it) and won't turn on at all. Holding in the power button for over a minute does nothing.

I'm in South Africa, so I'm not sure Google would replace it.

Any suggestions, tips, tricks, hints, spells?
3rd September 2014, 08:13 PM   |  #2  
Flag new york city
Thanks Meter: 81

661 posts
More
Sounds like a bad logic board sadly I would say there's not much you can do
5th September 2014, 05:42 PM   |  #3  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 4

45 posts
More
Looks like I've fixed it, though I'm not sure how long it will last. I disconnected and reconnected the battery and that seems to have fixed whatever the issue was.

I opened the device up according to this guide from iFixit. If you can get your nail in the groove of the back cover, you can slowly pry the cover off, with a plastic prying tool you can probably do it a lot easier and safer. Then you just need a tiny screwdriver to get the top inner cover open and then unclip the battery cable, leave it for a few seconds, and clip it back in.
Last edited by HawkiesZA; 5th September 2014 at 05:44 PM. Reason: a word
6th September 2014, 02:32 AM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 95

325 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkiesZA

Looks like I've fixed it, though I'm not sure how long it will last. I disconnected and reconnected the battery and that seems to have fixed whatever the issue was.

I opened the device up according to this guide from iFixit. If you can get your nail in the groove of the back cover, you can slowly pry the cover off, with a plastic prying tool you can probably do it a lot easier and safer. Then you just need a tiny screwdriver to get the top inner cover open and then unclip the battery cable, leave it for a few seconds, and clip it back in.

Strange, because holding the power button is built into the device to emulate a battery pull. I wonder if it is an issue with your power button.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread