Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,730,201 Members 51,978 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Sudden Overnight Battery Drain

Tip us?

KJ
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2729
You REALLY need to get Gsam and take some screens from it after a night. The stock battery usage screen shots say very little of use.

Otherwise we're are all just guessing here.
Sent from my N5, N7, Moto X, GTab3 or S2.

Need help with poor battery life on the N5...or any device really? Lots of info in first 3 posts! >>>>
[Battery Life Help] Troubleshoot Battery Issues Here....and Tips

Mike585
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by smakcruiser View Post
I am already using ART, but maybe I should switch back to dalvik and back to art like someone suggested earlier.
It's worth a shot, and I, for one, am curious to see if it helps.

FWIW, I just noticed that my battery usage is increasing significantly again. So, I may try the same thing if it persists.

I'd say there is definitely a bug somewhere, possibly interacting with an app or a subset of apps. Are you using Tasker, by any chance?

Mike585
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by kj2112 View Post
You REALLY need to get Gsam and take some screens from it after a night. The stock battery usage screen shots say very little of use.Otherwise we're are all just guessing here.
Good point.

As I noted in my previous post, my phone started chewing battery again yesterday. No evident trigger, battery usage rate just went up abruptly. I recharged the phone and then left it asleep over night. Images below captured this morning.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2014-05-05-08-31-48.png
Views:	91
Size:	209.3 KB
ID:	2726876   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2014-05-05-08-31-30.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	148.9 KB
ID:	2726877   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2014-05-05-08-32-01.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	159.0 KB
ID:	2726878  

KJ
Old
(Last edited by KJ; 5th May 2014 at 02:47 PM.)
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2729
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike585 View Post
Good point.

As I noted in my previous post, my phone started chewing battery again yesterday. No evident trigger, battery usage rate just went up abruptly. I recharged the phone and then left it asleep over night. Images below captured this morning.
Obvious culprits are WiFi and radio. Check in gsam (might be too late if you charged) for kernel Wakelocks. Or try wakelock detector app.

You could have a WiFi issue caused by other devices on your network. Would have to search on that for causes and cures. I'm not sure. I only know its been an issue.

And you appear to have no radio signal at all. If you go in to radio screen from main gsam screen, it will tell you your time searching for signal. That can destroy battery life.

It doesn't seem to he an app. Or general held awake time...as you have hardly any.

Putting phone in airplane mode over night would prove its WiFi or radio.

---------- Post added at 09:44 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:41 AM ----------

If a night of airplane mode is no better, then its a rogue app. That you'd need to track down. Process of elimination style.

But its probably either WiFi or radio signal. I guess if you have location service on, it could be adding to the trouble.

Turning off WiFi would show if its WiFi....or radio. But with very poor radio signal....I know you're battery will take a beating anyway.
Sent from my N5, N7, Moto X, GTab3 or S2.

Need help with poor battery life on the N5...or any device really? Lots of info in first 3 posts! >>>>
[Battery Life Help] Troubleshoot Battery Issues Here....and Tips

The Following User Says Thank You to KJ For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Mike585
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by kj2112 View Post
Obvious culprits are WiFi and radio. Putting phone in airplane mode over night would prove its WiFi or radio..
What's puzzling to me is that it was not an issue until a week ago, then converting to ART made it go away temporarily.
My radio signal is poor, but it's always that way at home. I definitely plan to see what airplane mode does. Will report results.

Thanks for your help.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mike585 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

smakcruiser
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike585 View Post
What's puzzling to me is that it was not an issue until a week ago, then converting to ART made it go away temporarily.
My radio signal is poor, but it's always that way at home. I definitely plan to see what airplane mode does. Will report results.

Thanks for your help.
These images are from last night. I went to sleep with about 55 percent and woke up with 31%. The screenies are from betterbatterystats. Maybe you guys see something...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	unnamed (1).png
Views:	47
Size:	46.0 KB
ID:	2728820   Click image for larger version

Name:	unnamed (2).png
Views:	43
Size:	67.6 KB
ID:	2728821   Click image for larger version

Name:	unnamed (3).png
Views:	36
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	2728822   Click image for larger version

Name:	unnamed (4).png
Views:	35
Size:	62.5 KB
ID:	2728823   Click image for larger version

Name:	unnamed (5).png
Views:	32
Size:	39.3 KB
ID:	2728824  

Name:	unnamed.png
Views:	30
Size:	70.3 KB
ID:	2728825  

Mike585
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Default Definitely radio in my case

kj2112, you were right on.

Running in airplane mode removes all serious battery drain on my Nexus 5. If I turn WIFI on, there is only minor battery usage. I've installed OpenSignal and will try monitoring radio reception vs. battery drain.

I'm still puzzled by the sudden onset (could be a problem with my nearest tower, I suppose), and the fact that switching from Dalvik to ART dramatically improved battery life for a few days. That's hard to link to the poor cell signal.

I'm still suspicious that there is a software component, that may or may not be interacting with my cell signal strength.

Mike585
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Default Follup up / more info

Based on posts on other forums, I tried excluding LTE from my preferred network types, and my battery usage improved dramatically. If I choose 3G, signal strength is 2-3 bars. 2G gives me 4-5 bars. With LTE I get 0-1 bars - mostly 0. On 2G my battery life is the best I've ever seen

My suspicion is that the sudden change I saw was caused by a change in the way the radio software selects network speed options. It appears that if the preferred network type selected is LTE, the phone now will expend maximum effort continually to connect to LTE, even if there is no useful signal available. Before the change, it's likely that a stronger LTE signal was required before the phone would attempt a connection.

I'm not sure if the OS determines where that set point is located or if it's something the carrier can control. If it's the carrier then maybe the Nexus 5 has a radio that isn't as efficient as other phones, and the current algorithm is pegged to the best case phone.

If anyone knows how to adjust the conditions for attempting to connect to LTE or has any ides about who does control it, I'd definitely like to know. For now, I set my phone to 2G or 3G when I'm in a poor LTE reception area (which with T-Mobile is most of the time). That actually works okay for me, but I doubt it's a solution for everyone.