5,597,138 Members 43,313 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

T-Mobile $30 plan does not 'grab' data like GoPhone does.. I think.. Weird, I know..

Tip us?

Incredible_Culp
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 82
Cool T-Mobile $30 plan does not 'grab' data like GoPhone does.. I think.. Weird, I know..

I've made 3 jumps so far with our N5.. First with AIO (awesome service), then GoPhone, and now TMO's $30..

Let me get to the point..(in red)

I became stupidly shocked when I just checked my data usage on MyTmobile's page after having the service going on 2 weeks...... Here's the story:

When I had GoPhone (last month) I burned through my 2gb limit in literally 2 weeks upon having their service. I soon after realized that I couldn't live without data (2 days with data cut off) so I bought another gig.. $10.. I burned through that in literally a week. So I basically burn through 1gb a week..

At this point, I knew I needed to jump ship, cause if I was to stay with GoPhone, I would be spending out-the-wazoo

I didn't want to go back to T-mobile (I had them for 4 years on contract prior going pre-paid) because where I live for college, and given the fact I travel outside rural cities a lot, I hated not having 4g/3g speeds.. I needed it for GPS and what not.. How i dealt with them for 4 years, who knows lol (being grandfathered in and it being cheap I guess, kept me ha)

Anyways, I said screw it and came back to T-Mobile and I'm now using the $30 plan.. Since I'm in the city for winter break, I thought, "Why not, I'm not traveling and I'm not in my college town where my phone only receives 2g" --- I get LTE in the city, so for a month, I can deal with it and be happy.

And I'm glad I did because, I **** you not, I'm doing the same exact things I did with GoPhone as I am with TMO, and I'm only at 367.XXmb after 2 weeks

GoPhone after 2 weeks = 2GB
TMO after 2 weeks = 367.xxMB

HOW IS THIS POSSIBLE..????

Like I said, I'm doing the EXACT same things WITHOUT WiFi; stream hours of music i.e. Pandora and Google Music, FB, IG, Twitter, SnapChat, loads of texts, web browsing, etc

settings are synched the same, everything the same with 2 vastly different results.. This is nuts..

Idk, but it seems as if TMO doesn't grab/need as much data as GoPhone/ATT does.. Idk if that's possible, but given the circumstances, it seems that way..

Anybody else experienced a similar situation?
Google Nexus 5

ROM:
- My slimmed down, modified, and minimal version of Mahdi [4/09] ~125mb

Kernel:
- Purified [r66]

GApps:
- My minimal and modified BaNkS GApps [4/11]

4th. HTC Sensation 4g
3rd. Samsung Vibrant
2nd. Google Nexus One
1st. MyTouch 3g

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friedrich Nietzsche
"You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist."

shotta35
Old
Thanks Meter 449
Does T-Mobile not update as fast or what? It seem odd to go from 1GB a week to 150MB doing the samethings. Unless they are compressing stuff too or something? Who knows....

Zainiak
Old
Thanks Meter 217
I wonder if they count non 4g data?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
//Phone - Nexus 5
//Laptop - Retina Macbook Pro (late 2012)
///Chromecast
Thinking of using Copy for your cloud storage? use THIS LINK and get both of us 5 extra gigs!

markdapimp
Old
Account currently disabled
Thanks Meter 295
Quote:
Originally Posted by shotta35 View Post
Does T-Mobile not update as fast or what? It seem odd to go from 1GB a week to 150MB doing the samethings. Unless they are compressing stuff too or something? Who knows....
they're compressing stuff like sprint.

Incredible_Culp
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by markdapimp View Post
they're compressing stuff like sprint.
Ah, then that would make sense then..

Didn't think of that.. Thanks..

Either way, it's awesome lol -- wonder if aio compresses stuff too.. I wouldn't think so since is based off att
Google Nexus 5

ROM:
- My slimmed down, modified, and minimal version of Mahdi [4/09] ~125mb

Kernel:
- Purified [r66]

GApps:
- My minimal and modified BaNkS GApps [4/11]

4th. HTC Sensation 4g
3rd. Samsung Vibrant
2nd. Google Nexus One
1st. MyTouch 3g

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friedrich Nietzsche
"You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist."

markdapimp
Old
Account currently disabled
Thanks Meter 295
Quote:
Originally Posted by matholomus View Post
Ah, then that would make sense then..

Didn't think of that.. Thanks..

Either way, it's awesome lol -- wonder if aio compresses stuff too.. I wouldn't think so since is based off att
The reason why they compress stuff is to off load certain sites that are heavy traffic with less bandwidth utilization, Sprint really needs this because currently in Hawaii their 1X is faster than their 3G... only till network vision starts then we will see improvements, but yeah they also use the compression to Limit your speeds, i know it seems crazy I thought T-Mobile is Unlimited, not quite they throttle when a site you're connected to is at it's peak load
The Following User Says Thank You to markdapimp For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]