Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,742,083 Members 50,511 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

T Mobile N5 used on Sprint network?

Tip us?

iammrhappy123
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default T Mobile N5 used on Sprint network?

Going to buy my friends T Mobile N5 and would like to use it on Sprint network.

Ive researched this a little and I have seen people run into trouble, saying that Sprint wont activated it because it wasn't purchased from google or sprint.

All Nexus's from North America are the same from what I understand and should be able to be used on any carrier.

Anyone have any suggestions on whether this can be done?

Thanks

CRIME INC.
Old
Thanks Meter 1910
Yes, all you need is a Sprint sim card

sent from my HAMMERHEAD

jt3
Old
Thanks Meter 61
More accurately, if your current LTE phone has a nano SIM, then you can simply pop it out, put it in your friend's Nexus 5 and it should work. The problem comes if you need a new SIM, or if your current SIM doesn't have LTE service assigned to it. In either of those cases, you'll need to contact Sprint either for a new SIM, or to activate LTE service. At that time, they may fight you, stating that the phone isn't supported. However, if you don't back down, ask for a supervisor, or try another store, eventually you will get a reasonable person.

Worst case, call the customer service line, and say that you got a Nexus 5 from Google, and need them to send you a new SIM card. They don't have to know you didn't actually buy it from Google. Again, it may take talking to a supervisor or even multiple calls, but eventually, you'll succeed.

Zepius
Old
Thanks Meter 1072
Quote:
Originally Posted by iammrhappy123 View Post
Going to buy my friends T Mobile N5 and would like to use it on Sprint network.

Ive researched this a little and I have seen people run into trouble, saying that Sprint wont activated it because it wasn't purchased from google or sprint.

All Nexus's from North America are the same from what I understand and should be able to be used on any carrier.

Anyone have any suggestions on whether this can be done?

Thanks
1) the NA nexus 5 cannot be used on any carrier. it cannot be used on verizon. the other 3 major carriers are fine (tmobile, sprint, and att)

2) sprint has to add the IMEI to their databases to allow the CDMA portion to connect to their network. This is how the auth the phone to make phone calls, etc. They have added the IMEI from google play devices, and obviously the ones they sell. They do not have a list of the IMEIs tmobile sells.
Go back to stock on your nexus 5 using this guide: here

Tired of paying too much money for your phone plan? go prepaid!

Save money on refills for your prepaid plans: Use Callingmart

-Zep

jj14
Old
Thanks Meter 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by jt3 View Post
More accurately, if your current LTE phone has a nano SIM, then you can simply pop it out, put it in your friend's Nexus 5 and it should work.
The Nexus 5 needs a Micro SIM. If you use a nano SIM, you will need an adapter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zepius View Post
2) sprint has to add the IMEI to their databases to allow the CDMA portion to connect to their network. This is how the auth the phone to make phone calls, etc. They have added the IMEI from google play devices, and obviously the ones they sell. They do not have a list of the IMEIs tmobile sells.
That was the case till recently. Last week, I saw a Sprint store employee call customer care for a potential customer and supposedly get the IMEI added into the Sprint database for a N5 bought from T-mo. The customer had to provide invoice etc to show that he owned the device, but I think they were able to get it sorted out.
YMMV of course.

jt3
Old
Thanks Meter 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by jj14 View Post
The Nexus 5 needs a Micro SIM. If you use a nano SIM, you will need an adapter
Duh. I knew that. I don't know why I said Nano. I came from a Galaxy S4 Active, and remember being happy that it still had a Micro SIM, the same as the N5. Thanks for the correction.

As for the IMEI issue, I guess when the OP said T-Mo Nexus 5, I thought Play Store N5 used on T-Mo. I didn't realize T-Mo was selling them directly, and thought only Sprint was doing that. (Play Store IMEIs are in Sprint's system.) My mistake. Still, I know that they can add IMEIs to their network, but it usually requires quite a battle. This is one of the key reasons I'm not on Sprint.

jj14
Old
Thanks Meter 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by jt3 View Post
Duh. I knew that. I don't know why I said Nano. I came from a Galaxy S4 Active, and remember being happy that it still had a Micro SIM, the same as the N5. Thanks for the correction.

As for the IMEI issue, I guess when the OP said T-Mo Nexus 5, I thought Play Store N5 used on T-Mo. I didn't realize T-Mo was selling them directly, and thought only Sprint was doing that. (Play Store IMEIs are in Sprint's system.) My mistake. Still, I know that they can add IMEIs to their network, but it usually requires quite a battle. This is one of the key reasons I'm not on Sprint.
I hear ya, and totally agree - it is a pain to get them to do something that is not their normal process! I'm still with them, just because they have better coverage outside of cities than T-Mo. But I'm getting tired of their terrible data speeds, and eCFSB issues - ugh

iammrhappy123
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Hey All!

Thanks for the replies! You all are very helpful. I wasn't expecting any replies haha.

I'm currently on Sprint iPhone 5 which uses a Micro Sim.

First time ever going to android, so I"m excited.

I just hope that when I call Sprint to activate the N5, they wont give me crap. And hopefully they add my IMEI to their network.

Or hopefully, when I just switch the SIM, it'll work off the bat lol.

Ill just keep being persistent at getting them to activate it if not.