XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

T mobile nexus 5 unlocked?

Tip us?

md1008
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 229
Default T mobile nexus 5 unlocked?

Yesterday got a nexus 5 didn't have $350 on hand and needed a phone asap. The rep said that their nexus is locked to T-Mobile and can be unlocked after phone is paid off...not that it matters I don't travel and don't swap carriers just curious

Justice for Kelly Thomas RIP

bblzd
Old
Thanks Meter 178
It's carrier unlocked already.
W32
The Following User Says Thank You to bblzd For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

OuncE718
Old
Thanks Meter 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by md1008 View Post
Yesterday got a nexus 5 didn't have $350 on hand and needed a phone asap. The rep said that their nexus is locked to T-Mobile and can be unlocked after phone is paid off...not that it matters I don't travel and don't swap carriers just curious

That's shocking because I could of sworn all Nexus 5's are carrier unlocked. I highly doubt that is true. A lot of the reps just read script. Most don't have the knowledge to answer more difficult questions.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

rootSU
Old
Thanks Meter 7451
Quote:
Originally Posted by bblzd View Post
It's carrier unlocked already.
As mentioned in all the other t-mobile threads

-----------------------
Sent via tapatalk.

I do NOT reply to support queries over PM. Please keep support queries to the Q&A section, so that others may benefit
Always read the OP's of a thread and the last 2 pages before asking questions, unless there has been an update - in which case, read the last 5 pages!

nexus 5 | SlimKat | ElementalX kernel | Philz Touch Recovery

I do NOT reply to support queries over PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to rootSU For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

md1008
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 229
Quote:
Originally Posted by OuncE718 View Post
That's shocking because I could of sworn all Nexus 5's are carrier unlocked. I highly doubt that is true. A lot of the reps just read script. Most don't have the knowledge to answer more difficult questions.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
That's what I thought even though in my case it doesn't matter I don't like the idea of locked phones. You shouldn't have to lock customers to keep them. Let your service keep customers

BirchBarlow
Old
Thanks Meter 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by md1008 View Post

He lied. All N5s are carrier unlocked. That being said, since you're making installment payments, you'll be responsible for balance should you decide to change carriers, much like an ETF.