5,596,637 Members 42,005 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Does T-Mobile know you're rooted?

Tip us?

jsgraphicart
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1235
Default [Q] Does T-Mobile know you're rooted?

So I have been on T-Mobile for a few weeks now. I downloaded the "T-Mobile My Account" app to manage my account, pay bills, etc. I got a notification today from the app telling me some test results and one of them was saying I was rooted. So is this info sent to T-Mobile and they know that I am rooted or are these test just done locally for my own info? And does T-mobile even care if we root our phones? I'm not really worried, I'm just curious about it. Screenshots attached below.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2014-02-05-16-40-27.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	153.7 KB
ID:	2561559   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2014-02-05-16-40-37.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	114.2 KB
ID:	2561560  

aooga
Old
Thanks Meter 671
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsgraphicart View Post
So I have been on T-Mobile for a few weeks now. I downloaded the "T-Mobile My Account" app to manage my account, pay bills, etc. I got a notification today from the app telling me some test results and one of them was saying I was rooted. So is this info sent to T-Mobile and they know that I am rooted or are these test just done locally for my own info? And does T-mobile even care if we root our phones? I'm not really worried, I'm just curious about it. Screenshots attached below.
They can because of this app, but they won't do anything about it. You can still get a replacement device and use JUMP and all that.
The Following User Says Thank You to aooga For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

jsgraphicart
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1235
Quote:
Originally Posted by aooga View Post
They can because of this app, but they won't do anything about it. You can still get a replacement device and use JUMP and all that.
Yeah, I didnt know how strict they were. You hear things about rooting voiding your warranty and all. Like I said, I'm new to T-Mobile. But I dont see myself needing a replacement or anything anytime soon. I've never broken a phone before.

aooga
Old
Thanks Meter 671
Quote:
Yeah, I didnt know how strict they were. You hear things about rooting voiding your warranty and all. Like I said, I'm new to T-Mobile. But I dont see myself needing a replacement or anything anytime soon. I've never broken a phone before.
Yeah the people at the store near me actually encourage people to root their device if they can and get rid of all the bloat. Most carriers don't even look at the phone when it comes in. They just wipe the entire thing anyway.

jsgraphicart
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1235
Quote:
Originally Posted by aooga View Post
Yeah the people at the store near me actually encourage people to root their device if they can and get rid of all the bloat. Most carriers don't even look at the phone when it comes in. They just wipe the entire thing anyway.
Good to know. I've never heard of sales reps at mobile stores actually suggesting root though. I come from stuck up Verizon. lol

laker666
Old
Thanks Meter 31
Quote:
Good to know. I've never heard of sales reps at mobile stores actually suggesting root though. I come from stuck up Verizon. lol
I've yet to meet a T-Mobile sales rep that knows the first thing about rooting

Sent from my Nexus 5 using xda app-developers app

md1008
Old
Thanks Meter 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by laker666 View Post
I've yet to meet a T-Mobile sales rep that knows the first thing about rooting

The T-Mobile store by my house was saying he roots his, was boasting that the Nexus 4(just came out at the time) he could tether all he wants with no T-Mobile restrictions. He pushed my Mom to buy Nexus 4(which wasn't that hard she had a Nexus S) so yeah it certainly happens. If your a phone tech nerd why not apply for T-Mobile, Sprint, At&t etc)

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

CellPhish
Old
Thanks Meter 28
T-Mobile really doesn't care. You can talk about rooting and jailbreak in front of them and they'll tag along with you about it.