XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Tablet/Data only Sim

Tip us?

joedinkle
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default Tablet/Data only Sim

My Nexus 5 has shipped, and I"m thinking of getting a tablet sim and making sip calls. Anyone try this with success? Hows the battery life with this setup? I understand setting up your phone for incoming sip calls can drain the battery.

eksasol
Old
Thanks Meter 665
As long as the carrier don't block the sim from working with a phone, I guess it should work fine.

I had a T-Mobile tablet sim, but I threw it out before T-Mobile gave it 10mb of free data.

Caelrie
Old
Thanks Meter 19
Why not just get a mobile phone plan that includes data but no or almost-no minutes? Wouldn't that be easier?

joedinkle
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caelrie View Post
Why not just get a mobile phone plan that includes data but no or almost-no minutes? Wouldn't that be easier?
Based on coverage maps(which I don't trust, thanks Sprint!) AT&T and T-Mobile have similar coverage in my area, but once you get to a rural area, T-Mo goes down to EDGE. My wife's family live 5 hours away, so we frequently make that trip. AT&T doesn't have a plan comparable to the T-Mobile $30 plan.

havanahjoe
Old
Thanks Meter 158
Did you try this? I'm also wondering if a tablet/broadband plan SIM card will work in a phone. Would be cheaper to get a broadband plan added to my account for the BF to use during our trip to Mexico.