FORUMS

Voices Of XDA: Orbiting The Earth With Android

Editor’s note: This week’s feature has been written by forum … more

CloudPlayer: DIY HiFi Music Streaming Solution

In our Helpful Guide to Music Streaming Services, we mentioned several different services … more

Optimize Battery Life with This Useful App

Battery life is an important aspect of your smartphone, especially if you use it for more … more

The OnePlus 2 & The Year of Smartphone Compromises

We are very close to entering the last third of 2015, and we have now seen many of … more

Let's talk photo/video sync

7,590 posts
Thanks Meter: 2,635

By Ben36, Senior Member on 23rd July 2015, 08:01 AM
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread
So with Google photos app now giving you unlimited storage to sync. Or 14GB for full res....
Is it worth using? Or are their better alternatives?

Also as it syncs what's on my phone if i delete something off my phone does it delete from the photos sync?
If so, can you/or is their other apps that allow you to delete from your phones storage but keep online and be viewable in an app like quikpic etc?

I've never really looked into this before and I'm sure their are many others the same as me. So let's talk like it's a kinda beginners guide off all we need to know

Thanks everyone for any help/info

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

23rd July 2015, 09:52 AM |#2  
Flag Glasgow
Thanks Meter: 43

More
You can delete either both copies or just from the Camera folder on your device, keeping the backed up picture on google photos.

Have a look through the app and investigate, it's pretty simple to use...

I used to keep mind backed up at full resolution but since the change to Google Photo's it sounds like they upped the resolution that can be stored for free so just changed it to that to save space. I also backup photos stored on my computer (30,000 or something!)

... sent from the Nexus 5000
The Following User Says Thank You to androidsnax For This Useful Post: [ View ]
23rd July 2015, 01:19 PM |#3  
OP Senior Member

More
I can't seem to find where you can choose between keeping it online permanently or deleting along with phone? Any help?

23rd July 2015, 01:32 PM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 7,379

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben36

I can't seem to find where you can choose between keeping it online permanently or deleting along with phone? Any help?

I usually use some Gallery app (motorola gallery to be exact) to delete stuff only from my phone. Because if i delete something from photos app for the first time, it says it will delete it everywhere and sync that across all devices.

Sent from Pure Nexus 5
The Following User Says Thank You to alen1901 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
23rd July 2015, 06:30 PM |#5  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by alen1901

I usually use some Gallery app (motorola gallery to be exact) to delete stuff only from my phone. Because if i delete something from photos app for the first time, it says it will delete it everywhere and sync that across all devices.

Sent from Pure Nexus 5

So if I just delete using another app like quikpic Google photos won't automatically sync and delete it also?

23rd July 2015, 08:52 PM |#6  
Flag Milwaukee
Thanks Meter: 482

More
Quote:

So if I just delete using another app like quikpic Google photos won't automatically sync and delete it also?

Correct. You can delete from the photos page in the app and it will delete both copies the one on your device and backup. However from the app select the menu and device folders. From there you can delete pics from your device without deleting the backup. Google photos only backs up your photos it doesn't sync deleted photos.

The Following User Says Thank You to jwhyte For This Useful Post: [ View ]
23rd July 2015, 09:12 PM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 499

More
Quote:

By default, when you open the app, the main view is the synced photos you have. Deleting from this section will prompt you a warning that you are deleting it from all devices including the cloud storage.

If you just want to delete images on your phone storage but keeping it synced in the cloud, press the hamburger icon and select Device Folders and delete images from there.
The Following User Says Thank You to stankyou For This Useful Post: [ View ]
24th July 2015, 08:06 AM |#8  
OP Senior Member

More
Nice! I get it now! Thanks guys! Hopefully this thread will be useful to others too!

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread