5,598,820 Members 33,947 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Tasker - GPS On/Off?

Tip us?

markp99
Old
(Last edited by markp99; 11th November 2013 at 12:02 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 33
Default [Q] Tasker - GPS On/Off?

Anyone finding success with Tasker getting GPS control working on their Nexus 5 (Android 4.4)?

Tasker v4.1
Rooted
Secure Settings Pro/Helper

Example:
Profile>Application "GoogleMaps">New Task ("GPS On")>Plugin>SecureSettings>Edit>HelperActions>GPS> On>Save

ExitTask same as above but GPS>Off

When I launch GoogleMaps I can see Tasker working, but from within Tasker I see an error: "An error occurred while executing Action:GPS"

Any suggestions? Related to "Location Mode" setting approach with "High Accuracy", "Battery Saving", "Device Only" options?

Thanks!
The Following User Says Thank You to markp99 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

aecant
Old
(Last edited by aecant; 14th November 2013 at 06:58 PM.)
Thanks Meter 18
I solved this problem using Helper Alternative in Secure Settings (last option of Helper tab in Secure Settings)
Now with "gps on" action you switch from battery saving mode to high accuracy, and vice versa vith "gps off".
You can also use the action to enable/disable the entire location service but in that case every time you want it on it shows an annoying google location consent disclaimer
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to aecant For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

chimas16
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by aecant View Post
I solved this problem using Helper Alternative in Secure Settings (last option of Helper tab in Secure Settings)
Now with "gps on" action you switch from battery saving mode to high accuracy, and vice versa vith "gps off".
You can also use the action to enable/disable the entire location service but in that case every time you want it on it shows an annoying google location consent disclaimer
Where is the option for battery saving mode or high accuaricy? I set it up only for Location services and the google location consent appear.
Also, is it possible to set it off in another way? because if I click in Tasks button in my phone, it suddenly turns gps off although Maps keeps running in the background

aecant
Old
Thanks Meter 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by chimas16 View Post
Where is the option for battery saving mode or high accuaricy? I set it up only for Location services and the google location consent appear.
you can switch between battery saving mode and high accuracy toggling the gps option:

gps on -> high accuracy
gps off -> battery saving mode

Quote:
Originally Posted by chimas16 View Post
Also, is it possible to set it off in another way? because if I click in Tasks button in my phone, it suddenly turns gps off although Maps keeps running in the background
I use a workaround, I have set tasker to wait 20 seconds before disabling gps when i close apps that need location services, so when I switch to another app it doesn't turn off gps immediatly. I don't know other methods to make tasker consider that the app is running in the background

p4ranoid4ndroid
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:
you can switch between battery saving mode and high accuracy toggling the gps option:

gps on -> high accuracy
gps off -> battery saving mode

I use a workaround, I have set tasker to wait 20 seconds before disabling gps when i close apps that need location services, so when I switch to another app it doesn't turn off gps immediatly. I don't know other methods to make tasker consider that the app is running in the background
How do you set tasked to time out after certain time? I keep trying but it just stays on high accuracy

aecant
Old
Thanks Meter 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by p4ranoid4ndroid View Post
How do you set tasked to time out after certain time? I keep trying but it just stays on high accuracy
i set a "wait" action before disabling gps

p4ranoid4ndroid
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:
i set a "wait" action before disabling gps
How do you set a wait action? Create another task?

aecant
Old
Thanks Meter 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by p4ranoid4ndroid View Post
How do you set a wait action? Create another task?
no, you add an action, just hit the plus button>task>wait and set the amount of time you desire