XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Tell me why I should

Tip us?

altimax98
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 417
Default Tell me why I should

Switch from the HTC One fully converted to GPE, to the Nexus 5...

Here's my situation. I am a T-Mobile JUMP subscriber and I have an upgrade eligible. Basically what this means is I plunk down $41 and walk out with a N5 for less per month ($3) then my current phone. Don't mind the $449 at T-Mobile situation.. I won't keep it much more then 8 months which makes my costs about $150 total.

Tell me why I SHOULD switch, or NOT switch, particularly for prior One owners. I have done a lot of reading and I would like to hear your arguments.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
Phones:
  • Motorola Q, Motorola Q9C, Samsung Omnia, Motorola Droid,
  • HTC Incredible, HTC Thunderbolt, Droid RAZR, Toro, Maguro, HTC One, Note 3
  • Nexus 5, Galaxy S5, HTC One (M8)
Tablets/Other:
  • B&N Nook Color, HP Touchpad, iPad(2012),Nexus7 (12 & 13), Nexus 10, Toshiba Chromebook

jackpollard
Old
(Last edited by jackpollard; 12th December 2013 at 11:46 AM.)
Thanks Meter 72
Well, just some comments, I still have my One and pulled the sim out about 3-4 weeks ago after I got my N5. I figured I would try it and then the loser goes to my son (I pay the bills I get the goods!).

So, I've not put the sim back in the One since I got the N5. The One sounds better, especially with the viper4android app, has the ir blaster and looks pretty good. I also was running the SinLess GE rom and loved it.

But...there is something about getting the ota's within hours on XDA for the N5. It took about 5 minutes to root and drop in a custom recovery. I feel no need to flash a rom, Kit Kat is excellent. Getting back to the phone, the screen is immersive, its insanely fast, 0 lag. I don't know what ll the hubbub with the camera is, works excellent, really have no issues, its not a DSLR. It feels good holding it, seriously, the tactile feel of the back feels good.

My intent is not to convince you any way, but as someone who is passing his One to his son, (I have this dang mobile pass app from work and can't get it copied over to my phone, so I still need it) the N5 is just about everything I want in a phone. I gave up my iPhone 5 for the One and the One for the N5 and have no regrets. Good luck with whatever way you go, you really can't lose!
Current
Nexus 5 - ATT; Rooted, Custom Recovery, Stock ROM

HTC One - ATT; Rooted, s-off
ROM: SinLess ROM GE

dicecuber
Old
Account currently disabled
Thanks Meter 51
Stick with the Sexy HTC One
Nexus 5 looks cheap compared
Similar battery
Nexus 5 is snappier doe

Sent from my Nexus 5

montree2499
Old
Thanks Meter 2
For me...Nexus 5 hands down. You should get one and find out for yourself. ; )

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

bblzd
Old
Thanks Meter 181
Why: The Nexus 5 is a great phone.

Why not: More of a side-grade then an upgrade.
W32

DigitalUnderground
Old
Thanks Meter 2037
Yeah when ppl ask me if my n5 is "better" than the s4 I always say no and they're just different. S4 has a better cam and audio quality and the n5 has faster and more stable updates.

However... You're asking about the One. The metal body looks great, the sound is amazing, and since you've made it a gpe device and got rid of that gross sense 5, the os is nice and clean. But the camera is worse (believe it or not IMO), the screen is about a tie, but most importantly the CPU is snappier on the n5. Its definitely not a downgrade nor an upgrade. Its just a different device. I'm a nexus fan so I'm biased... And I really dislike HTC as of their last devices from the Amaze and newer... But its up to you

d_phekt
Old
Thanks Meter 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalUnderground View Post
Yeah when ppl ask me if my n5 is "better" than the s4 I always say no and they're just different. S4 has a better cam and audio quality and the n5 has faster and more stable updates.

However... You're asking about the One. The metal body looks great, the sound is amazing, and since you've made it a gpe device and got rid of that gross sense 5, the os is nice and clean. But the camera is worse (believe it or not IMO), the screen is about a tie, but most importantly the CPU is snappier on the n5. Its definitely not a downgrade nor an upgrade. Its just a different device. I'm a nexus fan so I'm biased... And I really dislike HTC as of their last devices from the Amaze and newer... But its up to you
This pretty much nails it. I own both an N5 and official GPe One. The N5 is definitely snappier, better camera, and nicer to hold. The One has MUCH better sound and vibration for sure. I rock my devices naked so the One is pretty slippery because of the smooth metal finish. My One screen has more cool tones which I do prefer over the warm natural tones of my N5. It seems some N5's have cool and some have warm.. Kind of luck of the draw there. I also wouldn't consider it an upgrade. I'm also a strict Nexus user so do prefer the N5 and have passed the One on to my wife. Pretty nice since I can still tinker with both.

Device: Google Nexus 5 D820 Black 32GB
Rom: Stock KitKat 4.4.2 KOT49H/Rooted
Kernel: ElementalX
Recovery: Clockworkmod 6.0.4.5
Carrier: -T---Mobile-
The Following User Says Thank You to d_phekt For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

DigitalUnderground
Old
Thanks Meter 2037
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_phekt View Post
This pretty much nails it. I own both an N5 and official GPe One. The N5 is definitely snappier, better camera, and nicer to hold. The One has MUCH better sound and vibration for sure. I rock my devices naked so the One is pretty slippery because of the smooth metal finish. My One screen has more cool tones which I do prefer over the warm natural tones of my N5. It seems some N5's have cool and some have warm.. Kind of luck of the draw there. I also wouldn't consider it an upgrade. I'm also a strict Nexus user so do prefer the N5 and have passed the One on to my wife. Pretty nice since I can still tinker with both.

MN minds think alike

The Following User Says Thank You to DigitalUnderground For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]