Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,737,925 Members 53,031 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Tempered Glass vs. Case.

Tip us?

DREWHAMM974
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 581

DONATE TO ME
Default Tempered Glass vs. Case.

I've used an Anker Tempered Glass screen protector since about two days after I got my N5 and have also used this with a multitude of different cases. What I'm wondering is, with the tempered glass, is there when reason for a case if all I'm worried about is the glass? Will the screen protector protect it from a fall on it's own or is a case still necessary?

thesebastian
Old
(Last edited by thesebastian; 13th April 2014 at 05:58 PM.)
Thanks Meter 202
I don't use cases anymore, specially with the N5 which is already a really big phone.

Now I am using a Nillkin H+ tempered glass of 0.3mm.

I don't think I am covered from a fall but I'm sure that the risk is mitigated.

There is a lot of people who dropped their N5 with this tempered glass and the only destroyed thing was the Nillkin glass. But i'm not sure which of them have used a case.
Devices:
Nexus 5 (Stock + Franco Kernel) - Galaxy Nexus (CM11 + A.S.K.P. Kernel) - Nexus 7 2012 (Stock); Galaxy S GT-i9000 (CM11 - zRAM OFF); Galaxy Y Pro B5510L (Stock).
Previous:
Nexus 4 16GB; Galaxy S3 GT-i9300.

DREWHAMM974
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 581

DONATE TO ME
The size doesn't bother me as much as the fact that the cases really take away from the beauty of this phone.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Nocturnal86
Old
Thanks Meter 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by DREWHAMM974 View Post
I've used an Anker Tempered Glass screen protector since about two days after I got my N5 and have also used this with a multitude of different cases. What I'm wondering is, with the tempered glass, is there when reason for a case if all I'm worried about is the glass? Will the screen protector protect it from a fall on it's own or is a case still necessary?
case will help any jarring or impact from a fall better than a naked fall so yes a case is always better and added protection even a thin one. The glass may protect your screen to a degree but a hard enough side drop may still shatter it.