XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Tethering broken (Sprint)

Tip us?

ralphkaz
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Letitride View Post
Change it to IPv4 and exit, restarted WiFi hotspot and it is good - fast speed and websites loading quickly, etc.
This may, or may not, help out those on Sprint's network - but, worth looking into ...
While on Sprint I don't see a way to even get into the IPv4 vs. 6 settings - no APN settings available in the mobile network settings menu...

adio01
Old
Thanks Meter 75

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralphkaz View Post
While on Sprint I don't see a way to even get into the IPv4 vs. 6 settings - no APN settings available in the mobile network settings menu...
Use PDA-Net and Foxfi to tether to your computer or sprint.

AGiLiT
Old
Thanks Meter 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Letitride View Post
On the T-Mo side, I was afraid that we would lose the tethering with the latest 4.2.2 OTA - and initially, it looked that way. Speedtest would work on download side but "communications issues" on the upload side & unable to finish and show results .... Arrrrrgghhhh.

With two Nexus 5 on hand, it was easy to compare pre- and post- edits, hotspot & speed data, etc. along with comparing the entries in the above mentioned settings.db fields. First, save a coopy of the *.db just in case it is needed - then, added the tether_dun_required and value to 0 as a new entry/line, saved & exit. Reboot device for good measures, and sure enough, it connected by got re-directed to T-Mo's home page ... APN was set to IPv6

Change it to IPv4 and exit, restarted WiFi hotspot and it is good - fast speed and websites loading quickly, etc.

This may, or may not, help out those on Sprint's network - but, worth looking into ...
Thanks. The APN settings options are not there on a Sprint phone; drove me crazy trying to duplicate the the posts of the T-Mobile trailblazers until I saw a screenshot and figured that out.

ralphkaz
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by adio01 View Post
Use PDA-Net and Foxfi to tether to your computer or sprint.
yep, i'm aware of those but would prefer to use the built in android tethering. anyone else able to get hotspot working on Sprint on 4.4.2 ?

AGiLiT
Old
(Last edited by AGiLiT; 12th December 2013 at 05:35 AM.)
Thanks Meter 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralphkaz View Post
yep, i'm aware of those but would prefer to use the built in android tethering. anyone else able to get hotspot working on Sprint on 4.4.2 ?
Yes; see my post here .

orthonovum
Old
Thanks Meter 38
4.4.2 here, Sprint tethering still works for me after update.... Just tested it

Stock rooted, no custom ROM, no custom kernel just plain old stock with root and the settings.db edit

ralphkaz
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by orthonovum View Post
4.4.2 here, Sprint tethering still works for me after update.... Just tested it

Stock rooted, no custom ROM, no custom kernel just plain old stock with root and the settings.db edit
Hmm, wonder what happened with my config then. I'm in the same boat - stock rooted only. maybe i will try removing the new line in settings.db are re-adding... Right now I can launch hotspot and connect to it from tablet/laptop but no data flows thru the pipe....

busstomper
Old
Thanks Meter 0
I lost my tether after the 4.4.2 update as well. I have a Sprint Nexus 5. My laptop and tablet were able to connect to the hotspot, but no data was coming across.

I looked at the settings.db file and could still see the "tether_dun_required" entry was definitely there. So I decided to replace the settings.db file with a copy I had from before the 4.4.2 update. Rebooted the phone, and magically, tether started working again.

I was curious though to see if I put the post-4.4.2 update settings.db file back, then would I lose my tether? So, once again, I replaced the settings.db file with the post-4.4.2 version, rebooted the phone, and magically, tether still was working! WTF!

The only thing interesting that I noticed during all of this is that every time I replaced the settings.db file on the phone, the corresponding settings.db-journal file would disappear. I don't know much about SQLite, but I wonder if the journal file had some transaction state with the "tether_dun_required" hack removed or not committed.

Anyway, hope this helps.