5,595,196 Members 46,680 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Text app like Facebook Messenger? (Consistent popup)

Tip us?

Ad Fundum
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Phone [Q] Text app like Facebook Messenger? (Consistent popup)

Hi there,

Since the new update of Facebook Messenger, the functionality of sending texts (SMS) has been removed. As I don't like holding on to an older version that will get outdated one time, I'm wondering if there is any text app like it.

I have searched dozens of pages on Google, including threads on xda, but none seem to have what I'm looking for. The closest I have come to is GO Sms (which I'm using now) and SMS Ninja (I even tried Paranoid Android with it's Halo functionality) Both SMS apps have the same chathead-like popup of FB Messenger which you can press to open, but once you close the message, the popup is gone.

In Facebook Messenger, the chathead-popup stays on the screen until you drag it to the bottom to delete the overlay from the screen.

Do you happen to know an app that provides me with what I'm looking for?

Thanks in advance for your time!

krabman
Old
Thanks Meter 123
I'm afraid I don't have an answer but I'm curious why you want it to stay open? I never used the Facebook messenger and am wondering if I missed some functionality.

Ad Fundum
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by krabman View Post
I'm afraid I don't have an answer but I'm curious why you want it to stay open? I never used the Facebook messenger and am wondering if I missed some functionality.
What I like about Facebook Messenger is that I can open the chathead, read the message, and don't have to reply instant because the popup would close. I can just close the bubble, go on with what I was doing and reopen the bubble whenever I want to reply

krabman
Old
Thanks Meter 123
Ok, thanks. Not sure if that would suit me or not as I've never tried it. I avoid Facebook on principle although I grudgingly created an account some time ago.

veilsides2000
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Maybe you could give Portal a try. Personally I'm more interested in the multi-window function it provides.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...m.gflam.portal

jacob_woolf
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Ninja SMS popups work almost identically to Facebook's chat heads. You just have to click the collapse arrow instead of the close button.

Ad Fundum
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacob_woolf View Post
Ninja SMS popups work almost identically to Facebook's chat heads. You just have to click the collapse arrow instead of the close button.
Oh I didn't know that! Although I find the popup layout of Ninja SMS pretty ugly, I guess I'll have to live with that for now.

I'm gonna give Portal a shot as well once I get home, although I'm not sure if it has the permanent popup functionality that I'm looking for.

Thanks to both of you for your helpful replies! More suggestions always welcome

Ad Fundum
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Hey guys, letting you know what solution I'm using now:

Textra is a great, simple, text app that uses popups with quick reply. It doesn't have sticky, permanent chat heads, HOWEVER. It does have the option at the popup 'Leave it', which leaves a notification in the drawer. Whenever you press the notification, the popup opens again (you can keep doing this).

It's like a chathead that doesn't take up space! Awesome!

jacob_woolf
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ad Fundum View Post
Oh I didn't know that! Although I find the popup layout of Ninja SMS pretty ugly, I guess I'll have to live with that for now.

I'm gonna give Portal a shot as well once I get home, although I'm not sure if it has the permanent popup functionality that I'm looking for.

Thanks to both of you for your helpful replies! More suggestions always welcome
Don't forget you can (kind of) change the appearance of the popups! Go to settings, choose theme. I use Holo Light just because it's simple. I agree that it could use some extra customization features. It seems like the devs do a really good job of responding to user feedback though, so maybe that'll be fixed in an upcoming version (fingers crossed )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ad Fundum View Post
Hey guys, letting you know what solution I'm using now:

Textra is a great, simple, text app that uses popups with quick reply. It doesn't have sticky, permanent chat heads, HOWEVER. It does have the option at the popup 'Leave it', which leaves a notification in the drawer. Whenever you press the notification, the popup opens again (you can keep doing this).

It's like a chathead that doesn't take up space! Awesome!
I've heard awesome things about Textra as well, I might have to give that a go.

Tags
chatheads, facebook messenger, popup, quick reply, sms app