5,606,409 Members 33,601 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Thermal throttling (HardMod)

Tip us?

rootSU
Old
Thanks Meter 7520
Yeah it does. 65-70 degrees C for frequency-core throttle respectively I believe.

I've set mine to 80-85 though that is NOT a recommendation!

-----------------------
Sent via tapatalk.

I do NOT reply to support queries over PM. Please keep support queries to the Q&A section, so that others may benefit
Always read the OP's of a thread and the last 2 pages before asking questions, unless there has been an update - in which case, read the last 5 pages!

nexus 5 | SlimKat | ElementalX kernel | Philz Touch Recovery

I do NOT reply to support queries over PM.

varuntis1993
Old
(Last edited by varuntis1993; 5th January 2014 at 06:55 PM.)
Thanks Meter 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by simms22 View Post
you can use a root file explorer(if you have root) to disable/turn off thermal throttle. the file is located in /sys/module/msm_thermal/parameters/enabled/ then change the Y to a N.
I am on stock kernel, tried it and then ran the antutu benchmark, at 27% the phone restarted and the N was changed to Y after booting the phone.....any idea why the phone restarted?

simms22
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 18126
Quote:
Originally Posted by aavvaallooss View Post
I read that Nexus 5 still throttles a lot compared with another SnapDragon 800 SoC (Galaxy Note 3):

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2013/...n-the-nexus-5/
thats because of the code, not the device. samsung sets it up how they want it, just how google sets it up how they want it. but its not a bad thing. i run my device with throttle disabled, but i dont care about heat. if google made it not throttle, all we would be reading about is how hot the nexus 5 gets. and it gets pretty hot with throttle on!

---------- Post added at 01:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:54 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by varuntis1993 View Post
I am on stock kernel, tried it and then ran the antutu benchmark, at 27% the phone restarted and the N was changed to Y after booting the phone.....any idea why the phone restarted?
you hit thermal shutdown. its really easy to do with antutu, even with throttle on. why did it reset it, did you save your edit or did you just change it and exit?
Google+ Profile
Twitter Simms22
DerKernel For Trinity kernels and more!

varuntis1993
Old
(Last edited by varuntis1993; 5th January 2014 at 07:10 PM.)
Thanks Meter 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by simms22 View Post
thats because of the code, not the device. samsung sets it up how they want it, just how google sets it up how they want it. but its not a bad thing. i run my device with throttle disabled, but i dont care about heat. if google made it not throttle, all we would be reading about is how hot the nexus 5 gets. and it gets pretty hot with throttle on!

---------- Post added at 01:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:54 PM ----------

you hit thermal shutdown. its really easy to do with antutu, even with throttle on. why did it reset it, did you save your edit or did you just change it and exit?
I did save and exit.
edit -did it again and restarted the phone and it again changed to Y ......looks like google has done some hard coding

simms22
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 18126
Quote:
I did save and exit.
edit -did it again and restarted the phone and it again changed to Y ......looks like google has done some hard coding
oh, i misunderstood the first time. it doesnt stick after a reboot. after a reboot you have to disable throttle again. there are kernel control apps that do it as well, i use the trinity kernel toolbox to disable thermal throttle usually(but have to disable it after every reboot).
Google+ Profile
Twitter Simms22
DerKernel For Trinity kernels and more!

rootSU
Old
Thanks Meter 7520
Quote:
restarted the phone and it again changed to Y ......looks like google has done some hard coding
Everything in /sys "belongs" to the kernel and is set by the hardcoded values in the kernel when the system is rebooted. This is why we need to use apps or scripts to change the /sys values after (or at) boot

-----------------------
Sent via tapatalk.

I do NOT reply to support queries over PM. Please keep support queries to the Q&A section, so that others may benefit
Always read the OP's of a thread and the last 2 pages before asking questions, unless there has been an update - in which case, read the last 5 pages!

nexus 5 | SlimKat | ElementalX kernel | Philz Touch Recovery

I do NOT reply to support queries over PM.
Tags
hardmod, thermal throtling