Nvidia and Robotics w/ Barrett Williams – XDA:DevCon 2014

Robotics continues to dominate our videos from this years XDA:DevCon 2014 in … more

Speed Up Deodexing with JoelDroid Batch Deodexer

Android 5.0 Lollipop brings many under-the-hood changes like changing the default compiler … more

Top 5 Apps for 2014 + Top Xposed Mod of 2014 – XDA TV

Its that time of year where you look back and remember the things that happened … more

NVIDIA SHIELD Tablet Gets Android 5.0.1, OTA Available

The NVIDIA SHIELD Tablet is the latest Android-powered device released by famed GPU … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[Q] Thermal throttling (HardMod)

OP aavvaallooss

5th January 2014, 07:38 PM   |  #11  
Flag Oxenhope, West Yorkshire, UK
Thanks Meter: 13,902

25,127 posts
More
Yeah it does. 65-70 degrees C for frequency-core throttle respectively I believe.

I've set mine to 80-85 though that is NOT a recommendation!

-----------------------
Sent via tapatalk.

I do NOT reply to support queries over PM. Please keep support queries to the Q&A section, so that others may benefit
5th January 2014, 07:50 PM   |  #12  
Flag New Delhi
Thanks Meter: 58

336 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by simms22

you can use a root file explorer(if you have root) to disable/turn off thermal throttle. the file is located in /sys/module/msm_thermal/parameters/enabled/ then change the Y to a N.

I am on stock kernel, tried it and then ran the antutu benchmark, at 27% the phone restarted and the N was changed to Y after booting the phone.....any idea why the phone restarted?
Last edited by varuntis1993; 5th January 2014 at 07:55 PM.
5th January 2014, 07:57 PM   |  #13  
Recognized Contributor
BROOKLYN!
Thanks Meter: 22,913

27,538 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aavvaallooss

I read that Nexus 5 still throttles a lot compared with another SnapDragon 800 SoC (Galaxy Note 3):

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2013/...n-the-nexus-5/

thats because of the code, not the device. samsung sets it up how they want it, just how google sets it up how they want it. but its not a bad thing. i run my device with throttle disabled, but i dont care about heat. if google made it not throttle, all we would be reading about is how hot the nexus 5 gets. and it gets pretty hot with throttle on!

---------- Post added at 01:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:54 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by varuntis1993

I am on stock kernel, tried it and then ran the antutu benchmark, at 27% the phone restarted and the N was changed to Y after booting the phone.....any idea why the phone restarted?

you hit thermal shutdown. its really easy to do with antutu, even with throttle on. why did it reset it, did you save your edit or did you just change it and exit?
5th January 2014, 07:59 PM   |  #14  
Flag New Delhi
Thanks Meter: 58

336 posts
More
Quote:

thats because of the code, not the device. samsung sets it up how they want it, just how google sets it up how they want it. but its not a bad thing. i run my device with throttle disabled, but i dont care about heat. if google made it not throttle, all we would be reading about is how hot the nexus 5 gets. and it gets pretty hot with throttle on!

---------- Post added at 01:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:54 PM ----------

you hit thermal shutdown. its really easy to do with antutu, even with throttle on. why did it reset it, did you save your edit or did you just change it and exit?

I did save and exit.
edit -did it again and restarted the phone and it again changed to Y ......looks like google has done some hard coding
Last edited by varuntis1993; 5th January 2014 at 08:10 PM.
5th January 2014, 08:17 PM   |  #15  
Recognized Contributor
BROOKLYN!
Thanks Meter: 22,913

27,538 posts
Quote:

I did save and exit.
edit -did it again and restarted the phone and it again changed to Y ......looks like google has done some hard coding

oh, i misunderstood the first time. it doesnt stick after a reboot. after a reboot you have to disable throttle again. there are kernel control apps that do it as well, i use the trinity kernel toolbox to disable thermal throttle usually(but have to disable it after every reboot).
5th January 2014, 08:22 PM   |  #16  
Flag Oxenhope, West Yorkshire, UK
Thanks Meter: 13,902

25,127 posts
More
Quote:

restarted the phone and it again changed to Y ......looks like google has done some hard coding

Everything in /sys "belongs" to the kernel and is set by the hardcoded values in the kernel when the system is rebooted. This is why we need to use apps or scripts to change the /sys values after (or at) boot

-----------------------
Sent via tapatalk.

I do NOT reply to support queries over PM. Please keep support queries to the Q&A section, so that others may benefit
28th May 2014, 04:06 AM   |  #17  
Thanks Meter: 1

8 posts
Quote:

you can use a root file explorer(if you have root) to disable/turn off thermal throttle. the file is located in /sys/module/msm_thermal/parameters/enabled/ then change the Y to a N.

Strange, I looked at my nexus 5 and this file is already N... I have a stock 4.4.2 with a gravity box, and it still have thermal throttle...
Somebody help me...
Thanks a lot!

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
hardmod, thermal throtling
Previous Thread Next Thread