FORUMS

[Q] Time resets to 1970 on restart

318 posts
Thanks Meter: 58

By kenshinta, Senior Member on 27th June 2014, 08:42 AM
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread
The Nexus 5 turn to be asked this hehe

I've just now experienced this in the course of fixing another issue.

Normally in spite of how much i change ROMS whenever I set time manually and uncheck network derived time the date/ time maintains across restarts, now it doesnt.

It looks like a 4.4.4 issue? Dunno

Any help / ideas welcome.

What I did so far:

clean ROM not dirty flashed
switching between stock OMNI and Minux OMNI
all combinations of option in date/ time settings while

Each and everytime after reset the date time is 13 Aug 1970. Even if is set to automatic that date briefly appears before a connection to the net is made.

24th April 2015, 09:07 AM |#2  
Flag Tehran
Thanks Meter: 21

More
Did you find the solution?
14th August 2015, 04:57 PM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 50

Donate to Me
More
Could be related to the RTC not storing the time. The qpnp-rtc-write device tree option controls whether the time can be set with hwclock. If set to 0 or omitted, you will not be able to set the RTC time through the standard RTC interfaces (hwclock -w). Now, apparently these Qualcomm devices have a proprietary time_daemon program which is supposed to store these values permanently. It is invoked through the TimeService.apk program which is some thin glue that calls into libTimeService.so which invokes the time_genoff_operation function. I guess that this function should ultimately update the RTC time, but have not investigated further.

TL;DR check whether your TimeService.apk is working. It should contain a classes.dex file (deodexed). For Android 5.1, note that the files from the factory images are ART-optimized. You can undo that using Riddle's oat2dex.jar tool.

Edit: apparently these Qualcomm RTCs cannot be written from software (at least, not directly). A Qualcomm consultant mentioned this during patch review:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anirudh Ghayal (Qualcomm consultant)

In some of our MSM/QSD designs, we have a single RTC shared by multiple
processors (other than the ones running Linux). Thus, the need to have a
non-writable RTC using this pdata.

Someone already tried to patch the property in the kernel, but writing via hwclock was still not possible. I can confirm this for a Nexus 5 (rev_11, tested with this recovery image patching tool):
Code:
~ # /system/xbin/hwclock -w
hwclock: RTC_SET_TIME: Operation not permitted

<3>[   25.821247] spmi_pmic_arb fc4cf000.qcom,spmi: pmic_arb_wait_for_done: transaction denied (0x5)
<3>[   25.821338] qcom,qpnp-rtc qpnp-rtc-ee162000: SPMI write failed
<3>[   25.821408] qcom,qpnp-rtc qpnp-rtc-ee162000: Write to RTC reg failed
In the end, I decided to accept this problem and be stuck with a RTC set to 1970. Note that this device has not been network-connected since I started experimenting.

As for the TimeService.apk/time_genoff/time_daemon functionality, all these components do is maintaining an offset in the /data/system/time/ats_X files. These are read on startup and applied as offset. Nast hack, and there are alternative opensource alternatives. Really, the only functional thing that this daemon does is reading the RTC time and then applying the offsets over it. It has no code to write back the actual time to the RTC. It is no magic. (Found by reverse engineering the binaries and libraries.)
Last edited by Lekensteyn; 16th August 2015 at 11:08 PM.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
clock, time
Previous Thread Next Thread