5,603,729 Members 37,924 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] New to android w/ Nexus 5. Recommendations?

Tip us?

herrwinkler
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 10
Default [Q] New to android w/ Nexus 5. Recommendations?

My first smartphone was a Nexus One. I had a blast with it. I was rooted almost immediately, flashed roms etc. When the iPhone 4 came out I jumped ship since everything else I owned was in the Apple ecosystem. I've been on iOS since. My inner device/platform agnosticism finally forced me to ditch my iPhone 5 and I bought a N5. Going from android where there were 5 mahjong apps and no pinch and zoom (at first) to 4.4 was quite a jump.

I was reading up on CM, rooting etc. and I haven't felt the need to. Can anyone clue me in on any good reasons that I missed out on over the last couple years?

(Please geek out below, thanks)

maxpower7
Old
Thanks Meter 520
I've been rooting and flashing my phones (12 total) since the OG Droid days. This is the first phone where I have no particular desire to flash a custom rom. Stock KitKat has everything I need, and Android has really evolved into an attractive and highly capable OS (definitely moreso than iOS). ART is great for pure speed, but if you stay on Dalvik you can use Xposed framework (the Gravity Box module, in particular), which gives you all the customization options you could possibly need without flashing a rom.

Nbsss
Old
Thanks Meter 925
+1 to stock rom and gravity box (immersive mode is awesome)

Also recommend:
Multirom
Franco kernel
LMT launcher and hiding nav bar
SwiftKey
Swapps

herrwinkler
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxpower7 View Post
I've been rooting and flashing my phones (12 total) since the OG Droid days. This is the first phone where I have no particular desire to flash a custom rom. Stock KitKat has everything I need, and Android has really evolved into an attractive and highly capable OS (definitely moreso than iOS). ART is great for pure speed, but if you stay on Dalvik you can use Xposed framework (the Gravity Box module, in particular), which gives you all the customization options you could possibly need without flashing a rom.
I'll definitely check those out, thanks. I thought the latest iOS Felt like a more polished touchwiz. I like how the nexus devices have evolved. The creative apps are the only thing I haven't found replacements for yet (garageband iDraw). Otherwise, music and podcasts were a huge let down in the early days. With spotify I can't remember the last time I had actual music files on my phone. No need to sync with iTunes and less of a dependence on the Ecosystem has made it very easy to use whatever I want.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

maxpower7
Old
Thanks Meter 520
Quote:
Originally Posted by herrwinkler View Post
I'll definitely check those out, thanks. I thought the latest iOS Felt like a more polished touchwiz. I like how the nexus devices have evolved. The creative apps are the only thing I haven't found replacements for yet (garageband iDraw). Otherwise, music and podcasts were a huge let down in the early days. With spotify I can't remember the last time I had actual music files on my phone. No need to sync with iTunes and less of a dependence on the Ecosystem has made it very easy to use whatever I want.

Those are all valid points. I think my main issue with iOS (other than the lack of customizability) is the fact that there's absolutely no access to the file system. It limits what you can do in pretty significant ways and makes the iPhone more of an appliance that a full-featured computer. Android is just much more of a PC replacement for me.

herrwinkler
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 10
Ha, yeah. I remember my wife noting how much more free time I had after switching to iOS.