Going to buy second-hand N5. What should I look out for?

Search This thread

Geo2160

Jan 2, 2012
I'm going to buy a N5 soon from someone, since all the retailers are either out of stock or very overpriced. Although I have bought other phones from him, I like to be super-safe.

So, are there any issues specific to the N5 that I should check for before I buy it? How do I check the life-timer? Can that timer be reset w/o unlocking the bootloader?

radicalisto

Nov 13, 2013
York
life-timer = how much time the device has spent turned on

Not sure newer devices have them, or I have just not noticed/found it. Check the usual stuff, sensors, buttons, physical state, charge port etc. Tbh should be OK if you have bought from the same guy previously.

EDIT: Check the screen colours, some people report yellowish tint's - I haven't experienced it though.

Geo2160

Jan 2, 2012
Not sure newer devices have them, or I have just not noticed/found it. Check the usual stuff, sensors, buttons, physical state, charge port etc. Tbh should be OK if you have bought from the same guy previously.

EDIT: Check the screen colours, some people report yellowish tint's - I haven't experienced it though.

Well as soon as you reboot your phone it starts back at zero... I wouldn't use that as a reason to buy or not to buy a phone.

Sent from my SGH-I317 using xda app-developers app

Some phones have a separate counter for the whole life-timer.

PhilipTD

Dec 17, 2010
LI
Google Pixel 6 Pro
I'm going to buy a N5 soon from someone, since all the retailers are either out of stock or very overpriced. Although I have bought other phones from him, I like to be super-safe.

So, are there any issues specific to the N5 that I should check for before I buy it? How do I check the life-timer? Can that timer be reset w/o unlocking the bootloader?
Can't you get a new one from Google, or, a used one on Swappa? Either would be infinitely better than buying one from some guy.

vin4yak

Mar 10, 2013
Mumbai
vinu.info
Hello,

1. Make sure the device isn't cracked, scratched.
2. Check for Loose buttons.
3. Check whether the GPS is getting locked or not.
4. Make sure there is no bleeding on the screen
5. Ask for the original receipt/bill and see whether the phone has warranty in your country or not.

By taking a look at the bill date you can get to know the date of purchase and can get a rough idea about the life timer or whatever it's called.
If you have all the above points covered, I guess you are good to go!?