Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,771,848 Members 37,580 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Do you have to install a ROM to get xposed?

Tip us?

Hemotherapy
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 30
Default [Q] Do you have to install a ROM to get xposed?

Do I need to get a ROM with xposed on it or can I install it myself without one? This is my first nexus device so I'm new to this territory! Sorry for the newbie question

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

rootSU
Old
Thanks Meter 10677
Xposed isn't nexus specific so the same rules apply to any Android device.

The point of Xposed is to be able to apply custom features without having to change rom or edit your existing rom, so nope - you can use whatever rom is there now

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Want to root/unroot? All important guides and info threads are contained within the "Sticky Roll-up" thread in General. Click the link below to get there!

Philz Touch Recovery with passkey secure lock

I do NOT reply to support queries over PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to rootSU For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

jt3
Old
Thanks Meter 61
Your device does, however, have to be rooted.
The Following User Says Thank You to jt3 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Hemotherapy
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by rootSU View Post
Xposed isn't nexus specific so the same rules apply to any Android device.

The point of Xposed is to be able to apply custom features without having to change rom or edit your existing rom, so nope - you can use whatever rom is there now

Okay thank you - so don't HAVE to have a ROM right? I am on Vomers stock ATM so in theory I can just flash xposed on and done?

Just confusing because all the other phones I've had its just always been a part of the Roms I've used and I don't see one in the nexus specific Roms!

rootSU
Old
Thanks Meter 10677
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemotherapy View Post
Okay thank you - so don't HAVE to have a ROM right? I am on Vomers stock ATM so in theory I can just flash xposed on and done?

Just confusing because all the other phones I've had its just always been a part of the Roms I've used and I don't see one in the nexus specific Roms!

Xposed is an apk that you install. Then from there, you install frameworks. I've never seen it included in any rom.

Want to root/unroot? All important guides and info threads are contained within the "Sticky Roll-up" thread in General. Click the link below to get there!

The Following User Says Thank You to rootSU For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Hemotherapy
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 30
Okay - thanks for clarifying Was in my Atrix HD ROM and my most recent was team nocturnals GPE ROM for HTC one I just figured it was something a Dev had to do! Thank you sir!

Lethargy
Old
Thanks Meter 1292
Quote:
Originally Posted by rootSU View Post
Xposed is an apk that you install. Then from there, you install frameworks. I've never seen it included in any rom.

It's included in a few ROMs which are just small modifications of the stock ROM lol.. And they usually come with GravityBox which is kind of pointless and you might as well use a full AOSP/CAF custom ROM.

Sent from my Nexus 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyphur
You ask us to understand your position. Well if you want to benefit from our experience and time then I think it is only fair that you understand our position.
I actively add ignorant people to my ignore list. Feel free to add me to yours.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lethargy For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

rootSU
Old
Thanks Meter 10677
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lethargy View Post
It's included in a few ROMs which are just small modifications of the stock ROM lol.. And they usually come with GravityBox which is kind of pointless and you might as well use a full AOSP/CAF custom ROM.

Sent from my Nexus 5
Ah the sorts of ROMs I stay away from then

To be honest, if you're including it with a ROM, it means you either cannot be bothered to or do not have the skill to add teh functions to a rom, in either case - perhaps you shouldn't release a "rom" hahah