5,594,805 Members 38,060 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Anyway to make the top left of the screen more accessible?

Tip us?

kushty
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Default [Q] Anyway to make the top left of the screen more accessible?

I love my nexus 5 but UIs that require me to touch the top left of the screen are hard to reach. Is there any way to apply a per app hack where the top bar can be stretched or maybe lowered? I appreciate I won't be using all of the screen but it will be worth it for a few specific instances e.g. gmail and hangouts.

FourPointedFreak
Old
Thanks Meter 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by kushty View Post
I love my nexus 5 but UIs that require me to touch the top left of the screen are hard to reach. Is there any way to apply a per app hack where the top bar can be stretched or maybe lowered? I appreciate I won't be using all of the screen but it will be worth it for a few specific instances e.g. gmail and hangouts.
I'm not sure I understand what you're saying your problem is. Everything should be adjustable per your preferences by default. Maybe you can elaborate in more detail.
Device: LG Nexus 5 (D820) on AT&T's LTE
ROM: Cyanogenmod 11
-Thanks Are Appreciated-

rans0m00
Old
Thanks Meter 49
Had this issue with my Samsung note 2... One of the reasons I bought the nexus 5 is it fits my hands and my thumb can reach the entire screen. This doesn't answer your question but it was my solution to this problem.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

kushty
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by FourPointedFreak View Post
I'm not sure I understand what you're saying your problem is. Everything should be adjustable per your preferences by default. Maybe you can elaborate in more detail.
I've tried to put it in a picture here, although it looks terrible!

FourPointedFreak
Old
Thanks Meter 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by kushty View Post
I've tried to put it in a picture here, although it looks terrible!

Your picture actually did a great job of explaining what you meant to say. I understand now.

Silly question/statement, but do you know that pressing the "Back" arrow in most cases such as that should take your back to where you were. Most often, that specific option like you displayed, that you can't reach, can be activated the same way by hitting the back button.

There are however, plenty of apps and situations where you need to hit an option in the top left corner and the back button will NOT do this action. I have big hands and have gotten used to being able to tap something on any section of my screen.

You could try installing a mod/app to enable custom gestures in which you can swipe a gesture towards the right and set it to that function. (ex: gesture enabled when you swipe from the center of the right towards the middle, it activates a "back" option.

You can try installing "GMD Gesture Control" for this.

Just a suggestion?
Device: LG Nexus 5 (D820) on AT&T's LTE
ROM: Cyanogenmod 11
-Thanks Are Appreciated-

kushty
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Thanks for your reply! I didn't realise the back button could cater for some of these scenarios. I also didn't realise I could swipe from the left for a lot of these apps. This caters for most of the scenarios so I'm happy now, thanks!

chopper the dog
Old
Thanks Meter 730
Grabbing anywhere on the left edge of the screen and sliding right does the same as pressing the icon up high. Same goes go for play store.

good day.
$3 charging dock for the galaxy nexus. SEE HERE.
If I annoyed you. Hit the thanks button.