[Q] Wanting to root my N5

OP DEREKTROTTER

13th May 2014, 09:37 PM   |  #11  
Thanks Meter: 1,088

2,879 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by voidcomp

Never understood this advice other than the purists out there who suggest old style. Fine, if something screws up using a toolkit (never happened to me) I'll just take their advice then.

50 page thread of satisfied users. That should say something about those nasty toolkits.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/goog...1-8-0-t2517778

because do you how many threads are created by people who use toolkits saying "it didnt work", "my phone is bricked!?!?!?!" or something along those lines?

if you understand the process, its:
1) much easier to explain to you how to fix something
2) if something fails, you know exactly where it is
3) This post
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Zepius For This Useful Post: [ View ]
13th May 2014, 10:20 PM   |  #12  
Thanks Meter: 8

35 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zepius

because do you how many threads are created by people who use toolkits saying "it didnt work", "my phone is bricked!?!?!?!" or something along those lines?

if you understand the process, its:
1) much easier to explain to you how to fix something
2) if something fails, you know exactly where it is
3) This post

The number of people bricking phones doing it the long way far exceeds the toolkit casualties. The long, traditional way not only increases the chance for screw-ups but turns off many who would otherwise like to try.

Yes, you can do it the easy way while catering to people's laziness. If something does screw up help is available here, at least from those who don't finger point and say told you so and refuse to help.
13th May 2014, 11:13 PM   |  #13  
Flag Oxenhope, West Yorkshire, UK
Thanks Meter: 13,806

24,987 posts
More
There is a level of understanding needed to be a rooted user. Toolkits negate that but many of those users end up in trouble as an indirect result.

It's true, it's easier to help an understander. People who don't understand usually read other stuff that's wrong when trying to fix issues and make things even worse. It's just best all round to understand. People who are too lazy to understand or don't want to understand:

1) shouldn't be rooted users
2) shouldn't be on xda. The whole point of this forum is to promote understanding. Share knowledge. Not come here for panic help or quick fixes, so yes - we recommend avoiding Toolkits. We'll try to help but when a response is "what's fastboot", well I'm on the road to losing patience.

There are plenty of "help me urgent" and "simply cool my phone" forums. That is not what this place is about. Fine, be lazy. Use a toolkit but at least bother to understand what you're doing and read the threads with salient information because we haven't all got time to spoon feed

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to rootSU For This Useful Post: [ View ]
16th May 2014, 01:29 AM   |  #14  
XDA: ASSIST
Recognized Contributor
Flag The boonies - southwest Ontario
Thanks Meter: 4,864

13,363 posts
More
This thread is way off track....but I just had to post anyway. Lol

XDA is about learning.....it isn't a store, and some come here to "supe up" their phone, yet want to expend as little effort as possible in doing so. They won't search, or read or try to learn anything. They just want quick and easy answers to make their phone more awesome..... And give nothing back to the community in the process.

XDA is a place to gain and share knowledge. Not a store for cool things that are free.

So, much kudos to the opening poster for actuality wanting to learn, instead of taking the quick and easy route. Great to see! 👍
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Darth For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread