Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,810,055 Members 48,858 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Wanting to root my N5

Tip us?

Zepius
Old
Thanks Meter 1,078
Quote:
Originally Posted by voidcomp View Post
Never understood this advice other than the purists out there who suggest old style. Fine, if something screws up using a toolkit (never happened to me) I'll just take their advice then.

50 page thread of satisfied users. That should say something about those nasty toolkits.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/goog...1-8-0-t2517778
because do you how many threads are created by people who use toolkits saying "it didnt work", "my phone is bricked!?!?!?!" or something along those lines?

if you understand the process, its:
1) much easier to explain to you how to fix something
2) if something fails, you know exactly where it is
3) This post
Go back to stock on your nexus 5 using this guide: here

Tired of paying too much money for your phone plan? go prepaid!

Save money on refills for your prepaid plans: Use Callingmart

-Zep
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Zepius For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

voidcomp
Old
Thanks Meter 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zepius View Post
because do you how many threads are created by people who use toolkits saying "it didnt work", "my phone is bricked!?!?!?!" or something along those lines?

if you understand the process, its:
1) much easier to explain to you how to fix something
2) if something fails, you know exactly where it is
3) This post
The number of people bricking phones doing it the long way far exceeds the toolkit casualties. The long, traditional way not only increases the chance for screw-ups but turns off many who would otherwise like to try.

Yes, you can do it the easy way while catering to people's laziness. If something does screw up help is available here, at least from those who don't finger point and say told you so and refuse to help.

rootSU
Old
Thanks Meter 11,412
There is a level of understanding needed to be a rooted user. Toolkits negate that but many of those users end up in trouble as an indirect result.

It's true, it's easier to help an understander. People who don't understand usually read other stuff that's wrong when trying to fix issues and make things even worse. It's just best all round to understand. People who are too lazy to understand or don't want to understand:

1) shouldn't be rooted users
2) shouldn't be on xda. The whole point of this forum is to promote understanding. Share knowledge. Not come here for panic help or quick fixes, so yes - we recommend avoiding Toolkits. We'll try to help but when a response is "what's fastboot", well I'm on the road to losing patience.

There are plenty of "help me urgent" and "simply cool my phone" forums. That is not what this place is about. Fine, be lazy. Use a toolkit but at least bother to understand what you're doing and read the threads with salient information because we haven't all got time to spoon feed

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Want to root/unroot? All important guides and info threads are contained within the "Sticky Roll-up" thread in General. Click the link below to get there!

**Sticky Roll-up: All Guides snd Info Threads linked here**

Philz Touch Recovery with passkey secure lock

I do NOT reply to support queries over PM.
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to rootSU For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

KJ
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 3,572
This thread is way off track....but I just had to post anyway. Lol

XDA is about learning.....it isn't a store, and some come here to "supe up" their phone, yet want to expend as little effort as possible in doing so. They won't search, or read or try to learn anything. They just want quick and easy answers to make their phone more awesome..... And give nothing back to the community in the process.

XDA is a place to gain and share knowledge. Not a store for cool things that are free.

So, much kudos to the opening poster for actuality wanting to learn, instead of taking the quick and easy route. Great to see! 👍
Sent from my new HTC One M8, N7, Moto X, GTab3 or S2.

Need help with poor battery life? Any device welcome, even tho its an N5 thread. Please specify if on a device other than N5. Lots of info in first 4 posts! >>>>
[Battery Life Help] Troubleshoot Battery Issues Here....and Tips

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to KJ For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]