XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Ways to save battery

Tip us?

droid_<3er
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 86
Default Ways to save battery

I've used the N5 for a few days now and I must say I'm impressed with everything except for the battery.

So the thing is, i really gave no craps about the battery on my Defy because I didn't care much for the phone either; so I'm sort of confused and out of ideas for battery saving.

I haven't rooted yet, but when I do my best guess would be just to down-clock the CPU, but how well does that really work? I use No-Frills and it works about 93% of the time, other times it just reverts. Do I need a kernel?

I keep it on about 10% brightness because I like soft lighting and screens. That works to a certain extent as well as the fact that I'm not a data user and I always turn wifi off when I'm not using it (like, immediately I will go and toggle it).

Other than turning off sync, is there anything else I'm missing? A good app maybe?
Phone: Nexus 5 32GB
ROM: Unitato
Kernel: Some linaro one
Recovery: TWRP 2.6.3.4

Previous phones: Motorola Defy (Mint ROM-4.1.2) hooked up to home theater, HTC Desire (VJ CM10.2-4.2.2)
Tab: iPad Mini

Before you post about a question that's been answered one million times just because you feel that people of XDA are responsible for fixing your phone, please take the time to read this post.

cntrdctn
Old
(Last edited by cntrdctn; 5th December 2013 at 06:42 AM.)
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by droid_<3er View Post
I've used the N5 for a few days now and I must say I'm impressed with everything except for the battery.

So the thing is, i really gave no craps about the battery on my Defy because I didn't care much for the phone either; so I'm sort of confused and out of ideas for battery saving.

I haven't rooted yet, but when I do my best guess would be just to down-clock the CPU, but how well does that really work? I use No-Frills and it works about 93% of the time, other times it just reverts. Do I need a kernel?

I keep it on about 10% brightness because I like soft lighting and screens. That works to a certain extent as well as the fact that I'm not a data user and I always turn wifi off when I'm not using it (like, immediately I will go and toggle it).

Other than turning off sync, is there anything else I'm missing? A good app maybe?
Few things i've done is turn off wifi always scanning. set location to device only. undervolt -75 and max cpu 1575. i'm using cataclysm rom and frank r16 which was just recently released. when i was on r14 kernel i was getting about 7hour 1% drain on idle connected to wifi. I also try to monitor what I want to have push notifications for. So check what you have constantly Syncing.

bblzd
Old
Thanks Meter 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by cntrdctn View Post
Few things i've done is turn off wifi always scanning. set location to device only. undervolt -75 and max cpu 1575. i'm using cataclysm rom and frank r16 which was just recently released. when i was on r14 kernel i was getting about 7hour 1% drain on idle connected to wifi. i also turn make sure i monitor what want to have push notifications. i hope this helps.
Biggest changes for me were:

-Disable Hotword detection. Turn it back on when you want to impress friends and otherwise hit the mic button manually. Increases Screen on Time.

-Disable Auto sync. Set an automation to only sync while charging instead. Increases Battery at all times, may slow charging a tad.

-Disable Locations. Enable if needed on the go. Can't automate this with Llama but I'm guessing it would work using Tasker. Many less wake locks you can go hours without a single one now.
W32
The Following User Says Thank You to bblzd For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]