5,594,151 Members 47,346 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Is there a way to sync ALL folders with Exchange by deafult?

Tip us?

Jiiins
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
Default [Q] Is there a way to sync ALL folders with Exchange by deafult?

The new Kit Kat mail app looks great, but I need to find a way to make it sync all folders by default, or to be able to select them all easily instead of going through each one's settings. The problem is that my users sometimes have more than 50 subfolders, and I can't possibly do this manually for everybody...

Thanks for any hints on how to accomplish this.

rootSU
Old
Thanks Meter 7391
What do you mean? All my exchange folders show up

-----------------------
Sent via tapatalk.

I do NOT reply to support queries over PM. Please keep support queries to the Q&A section, so that others may benefit

---------- Post added at 05:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:09 PM ----------

Oh do you mean they don't sync per the schedule, so if a user goes into a folder,.they have to wait for it to sync on demand?

-----------------------
Sent via tapatalk.

I do NOT reply to support queries over PM. Please keep support queries to the Q&A section, so that others may benefit
Always read the OP's of a thread and the last 2 pages before asking questions, unless there has been an update - in which case, read the last 5 pages!

nexus 5 | SlimKat | ElementalX kernel | Philz Touch Recovery

I do NOT reply to support queries over PM.

shotta35
Old
Thanks Meter 449
Good Exchange practice is to not do so many folders, use categories instead and search folders. Search folders behave just like folders but they are updated dynamically since they are a live view of a search without having to manually move stuff around.

To answer your question however, no there isn't a way to do that. Some of my coworkers have 90 folders, i'm like who has time to manually "file" everything like that all the time

rootSU
Old
Thanks Meter 7391
Quote:
Originally Posted by shotta35 View Post
Good Exchange practice is to not do so many folders, use categories instead and search folders. Search folders behave just like folders but they are updated dynamically since they are a live view of a search without having to manually move stuff around.

To answer your question however, no there isn't a way to do that. Some of my coworkers have 90 folders, i'm like who has time to manually "file" everything like that all the time
When Microsoft upgraded our office 365 tenant to exchange 2013, they asked me to get 2 employees to Below 4000 inbox subfolders! No joke!

They were component engineers and arranged mail by project, product, component, supplier/customer/designer etc.

Sad thing was, the structure made perfect sense

-----------------------
Sent via tapatalk.

Always read the OP's of a thread and the last 2 pages before asking questions, unless there has been an update - in which case, read the last 5 pages!

Jiiins
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by rootSU View Post
What do you mean? All my exchange folders show up
They do show up, but they get sync'd only when the user enters into them. So unless they go inside every single folder, they won't know if there is new mail, as usually there are Exchange rules in place which move messages to subfolders.

Jiiins
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
Quote:
Totally agree, but unfortunately I can't change the way they have been doing it for the past decade or more (i.e. Exchange rules)

Quote:
Not even a file somewhere I can edit? I guess the app stores the preferences somewhere?

rootSU
Old
Thanks Meter 7391
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiiins View Post
Not even a file somewhere I can edit? I guess the app stores the preferences somewhere?
Doubtful because not only is the folder's sync interval to 1 in /data/data/com.google.android.email/EmailProvider.db/mailbox but it is also given what appears to be a unique "syncKey" too.

-----------------------
Sent via tapatalk.

greystealth
Old
Thanks Meter 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiiins View Post
The new Kit Kat mail app looks great, but I need to find a way to make it sync all folders by default, or to be able to select them all easily instead of going through each one's settings. The problem is that my users sometimes have more than 50 subfolders, and I can't possibly do this manually for everybody...

Thanks for any hints on how to accomplish this.
I'm a bit confused here. I'm a huge Exchange user and have 2 accounts running on my Nexus 5. On my main account, I have approx 20-sub-folders that are all accessible by default. I actually monitor 6 of them since I have rules that move messages to those folders upon arrival. I am able to sync those 6 folders via "push" as items arrive. Only thing that sucks about KitKat is that it doesn't notify you when email arrives into those synced folders. However, I am able to see a Number indicator that a new unread message has arrived into that folder.

shotta35
Old
Thanks Meter 449
Quote:
Originally Posted by greystealth View Post
I'm a bit confused here. I'm a huge Exchange user and have 2 accounts running on my Nexus 5. On my main account, I have approx 20-sub-folders that are all accessible by default. I actually monitor 6 of them since I have rules that move messages to those folders upon arrival. I am able to sync those 6 folders via "push" as items arrive. Only thing that sucks about KitKat is that it doesn't notify you when email arrives into those synced folders. However, I am able to see a Number indicator that a new unread message has arrived into that folder.
That's cuz they aren't pushed there, they are only refreshed when you open "Folders" or in some cases only when you open the folder

greystealth
Old
Thanks Meter 26
Quote:
That's cuz they aren't pushed there, they are only refreshed when you open "Folders" or in some cases only when you open the folder
This is not true for folders that you actually set to "push". Folders not set to "push" only update when you access the folder.

Tags
exchange, kit kat, mail